|Brief Description:||This ransom virus encrypts selected files on the computer and prompts user to pay for decryption key.|
|Aliases:||Ransom.Cerber, Ransom: Win32/Cerber.A, Troj/Ransom-CJM|
Cerber is a computer virus that targets to encrypt all stored files on the system. Cerber appends the .cerber extension to encrypted files. Then instantly after encryption of your photos, videos, documents, and other files, Cerber virus shows ransom note on your desktop.
The warning message stated that your personal files have been encrypted. In order to decrypt your files you have to have the private key. However, cyber crooks holds the control to this decryption key. Victims are obliged to pay first for about $500 before they can access again their files. If the ransom was not settled within seven days, the amount will increase to roughly $1000. It also state on the message that users must download the Tor browser for further details on how to pay the demand.
The sad truth was that, even if you pay the ransom or the amount demanded by schemer, there is no guarantee that your files can be restored. The real motive of Cerber virus is just to lock your files and asks for a ransom. Cerber is simply a way of crook to collect money from its victims. Decrypting your files is definitely none of their business to any further extent.
Do never try to pay the ransom or even try to contact the Cerber developer. Dealing with them will give you nothing but negative results. To restore your files, your backup is considered as the best possible solution to this issue. As regard to Cerber virus, you can fully get rid of it from your system. Just do follow the steps below as instructed.
Procedures to Remove Cerber
Removal steps on this page will help you get rid of the threat effectively using tools and virus scanners. Please make sure that you will carry out the guide in exact order.
Procedure 1: Scan Computer in Safe Mode Using Installed Anti-virus Program
1. First, we will try to remove Remove Cerber Ransomware (Virus Removal) by running a virus scan under Safe Mode with Networking. To perform this task, please complete these procedures.
Start in Safe Mode with Networking (Windows XP/Vista/7 Instruction)
- Please restart the computer and just before Windows start, press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly. You will be presented with Advanced Options Menu.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
Start Windows 8 in Safe Mode with Networking
- Please restart the computer and as soon as it begins to start, please press Shift+F8 keys.
- Instead of seeing Advance Boot Options, Windows 8 will display Recovery Mode. Continue with the given steps until you reach Safe Mode function.
- Click on 'See advanced repair options'.
- Then, click on Troubleshoot.
- Next, please select Advanced options.
- On the next window, please choose Windows Startup Settings.
- Lastly, click on Restart button. Windows 8 will now restart and boot into Advanced Boot Option wherein you can run the system in Safe Mode with Networking.
2. Open your installed anti-virus programs and update it to the most recent version by automatically downloading necessary updates.
3. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all identified threats. Do not restart or turn off the computer after the scan process. You still need to run another scan. Please follow the next procedure.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove Cerber files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove Cerber, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed, MBAM will launch.
4. Select SCAN from the top menu. Then, click on Threat Scan (Recommended) section.
5. Click on Start Scan to thoroughly scan the computer. Remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program after the process.
Procedure 3: Run Microsoft Safety Scanner to remove Cerber components.
MS Safety Scanner is a free security tool that offers on-demand virus scanning and helps remove threats from the infected computer. It is a stand-alone program that works even with existing antivirus program.
Important: Each download of Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after the acquisition date. If this period lapses, you need to download the same program from the same location again. New download contains newer virus definition and database to detect and clean most recent viruses.
To use this tool in removing Cerber, please follow this procedure.
1. Download Microsoft Safety Scanner from official web site. Click on the button below.
2. Save the file to a convenient location such as Desktop.
3. Once the download completes, browse the folder and double-click on the file msert.exe. Icon for this file looks like this.
4. If Windows prompts for a security warning and ask if you want to run the file, click on Run. For Windows Vista/7 users, you may right-click on the file and select Run as administrator from the selection.
5. On initial run, the tool will display End User License Agreement, please accept the terms and click Next. Continue on the process until you reach the Scan Type window.
6. Select on Full scan to entire the system and detect any presence of Cerber. Then, click Next button to begin the scan process. Scanning may take a while, please be patient.
7. Once Microsoft Safety Scanner finished on scanning the computer, it will display the result. If it finds presence of Cerber and other malware, the tool removes them automatically.
8. Click on Finish button to close the tool.
Recover Cerber Encrypted Files
Cerber Decryption Tool
This guide provides simple procedures and free tool to decrypt Cerber infected files. Please note that this guide may not help you decrypt files infected with latest version of Cerber.
1. Start by clicking the download button below. This will allow you to download Trend Micro Ransomware File Decryptor.
2. After downloading, unzip the file and launch RansomwareFileDecryptor.
3. The tool will display End User License Agreement. You must accept it in order to proceed.
4. After you agree with the EULA, the tool will open to main graphical user interface (GUI).
5. Next, click on Select button to choose ransomware type.
6. Choose the appropriate ransomware that infects your files. Then, click OK to continue.
7. On next window, click on Select and Decrypt button.
8. Please choose the folder encrypted by Cerber ransomware. The tool will scan the submitted folder then do necessary actions to decrypt infected files.
Time duration to decrypt Cerber files may vary on type of ransomware and volume of files submitted for decryption. Please be patient during the process.
Use ShadowExplorer to Recover Files
Recovering Cerber encrypted files using this tool may only be possible if the virus did not erased the Shadow Copies of files on your computer. Volume Shadow Service is a Windows feature and is a component of Windows Backup and System Restore. Backup data are kept automatically in the system after enabling System Restore. Therefore, you may never use this feature when System Restore not active on the computer.
1. Download the most recent version of ShadowExplorer from their official website. Click the button below.
2. Install this program on your computer. It should initialize after the installation process. You may also double-click the created icon to run ShadowExplorer.
3. On main interface, click on the Drive Path at upper left corner to list all Volume Shadow Copies kept on your computer.
4. Select preferred time and date you wish to restore. It is suggested to select the most recent copy before the Cerber infection.
5. Right-click on the folder you wish to restore. Then, click on Export.
6. ShadowExplorer will prompt for the new location of files to recover. Please specify the path where you want to save copies of your files.