|Brief Description:||This ransom virus encrypts selected files on the computer and prompts user to pay for decryption key.|
BadBlock is a ransomware-type virus that covertly installed on target machine. BadBlock virus locked your computer and prevents you from accessing all stored files. Unlike many other encrypting-file viruses, BadBlock does not add extension to encrypted files. Instead, it displays on your windows desktop a message demanding to pay first the ransom before your files be restored just right after encryption.
BadBlock virus ransom note states that to decrypt your data, you have to pay for roughly $900. This is in exchange for the private key that holds by malware’s author. It says that merely paying the demand will let you regain access to your files. In order to pay the ransom, you just have to buy 2 Bitcoins which is more or less equal to $900. The account where you have to send the payment was also given. It claims that it take 2 hours to detect the payment. Then after detecting it, the decryption process will start.
Please keep in mind that paying the ransom is not the key to decrypt your files. Cyber crooks only give you false hopes. Paying the ransom would not lead to your files being returned. It was just like spending your money for nothing. One thing is certain about BadBlock virus; malware author will get the money and gives you nothing in return. This is how BadBlock exactly works. BadBlock was purposely made to extort money from its victims.
BadBlock is just the same among countless number of ransomware-type viruses which retrieval of data is beyond doubt not implement as promised. They are all the same in terms of locking the computer and ends up only in collecting the ransom.
Procedures to Remove BadBlock
Removal steps on this page will help you get rid of the threat effectively using tools and virus scanners. Please make sure that you will carry out the guide in exact order.
Procedure 1: Scan Computer in Safe Mode Using Installed Anti-virus Program
1. First, we will try to remove BadBlock Ransomware (Virus Removal) by running a virus scan under Safe Mode with Networking. To perform this task, please complete these procedures.
Start in Safe Mode with Networking (Windows XP/Vista/7 Instruction)
- Please restart the computer and just before Windows start, press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly. You will be presented with Advanced Options Menu.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
Start Windows 8 in Safe Mode with Networking
- Please restart the computer and as soon as it begins to start, please press Shift+F8 keys.
- Instead of seeing Advance Boot Options, Windows 8 will display Recovery Mode. Continue with the given steps until you reach Safe Mode function.
- Click on 'See advanced repair options'.
- Then, click on Troubleshoot.
- Next, please select Advanced options.
- On the next window, please choose Windows Startup Settings.
- Lastly, click on Restart button. Windows 8 will now restart and boot into Advanced Boot Option wherein you can run the system in Safe Mode with Networking.
2. Open your installed anti-virus programs and update it to the most recent version by automatically downloading necessary updates.
3. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all identified threats. Do not restart or turn off the computer after the scan process. You still need to run another scan. Please follow the next procedure.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove BadBlock files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove BadBlock, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed, MBAM will launch.
4. Select SCAN from the top menu. Then, click on Threat Scan (Recommended) section.
5. Click on Start Scan to thoroughly scan the computer. Remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program after the process.
Procedure 3: Run Microsoft Safety Scanner to remove BadBlock components.
MS Safety Scanner is a free security tool that offers on-demand virus scanning and helps remove threats from the infected computer. It is a stand-alone program that works even with existing antivirus program.
Important: Each download of Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after the acquisition date. If this period lapses, you need to download the same program from the same location again. New download contains newer virus definition and database to detect and clean most recent viruses.
To use this tool in removing BadBlock, please follow this procedure.
1. Download Microsoft Safety Scanner from official web site. Click on the button below.
2. Save the file to a convenient location such as Desktop.
3. Once the download completes, browse the folder and double-click on the file msert.exe. Icon for this file looks like this.
4. If Windows prompts for a security warning and ask if you want to run the file, click on Run. For Windows Vista/7 users, you may right-click on the file and select Run as administrator from the selection.
5. On initial run, the tool will display End User License Agreement, please accept the terms and click Next. Continue on the process until you reach the Scan Type window.
6. Select on Full scan to entire the system and detect any presence of BadBlock. Then, click Next button to begin the scan process. Scanning may take a while, please be patient.
7. Once Microsoft Safety Scanner finished on scanning the computer, it will display the result. If it finds presence of BadBlock and other malware, the tool removes them automatically.
8. Click on Finish button to close the tool.
Recover BadBlock Encrypted Files
BadBlock Decryption Tool
This guide provides simple procedures and free tool to decrypt BadBlock infected files. Please note that this guide may not help you decrypt files infected with latest version of BadBlock.
1. Start by clicking the download button below. This will allow you to download Trend Micro Ransomware File Decryptor.
2. After downloading, unzip the file and launch RansomwareFileDecryptor.
3. The tool will display End User License Agreement. You must accept it in order to proceed.
4. After you agree with the EULA, the tool will open to main graphical user interface (GUI).
5. Next, click on Select button to choose ransomware type.
6. Choose the appropriate ransomware that infects your files. Then, click OK to continue.
7. On next window, click on Select and Decrypt button.
8. Please choose the folder encrypted by BadBlock ransomware. The tool will scan the submitted folder then do necessary actions to decrypt infected files.
Time duration to decrypt BadBlock files may vary on type of ransomware and volume of files submitted for decryption. Please be patient during the process.
Use ShadowExplorer to Recover Files
Recovering BadBlock encrypted files using this tool may only be possible if the virus did not erased the Shadow Copies of files on your computer. Volume Shadow Service is a Windows feature and is a component of Windows Backup and System Restore. Backup data are kept automatically in the system after enabling System Restore. Therefore, you may never use this feature when System Restore not active on the computer.
1. Download the most recent version of ShadowExplorer from their official website. Click the button below.
2. Install this program on your computer. It should initialize after the installation process. You may also double-click the created icon to run ShadowExplorer.
3. On main interface, click on the Drive Path at upper left corner to list all Volume Shadow Copies kept on your computer.
4. Select preferred time and date you wish to restore. It is suggested to select the most recent copy before the BadBlock infection.
5. Right-click on the folder you wish to restore. Then, click on Export.
6. ShadowExplorer will prompt for the new location of files to recover. Please specify the path where you want to save copies of your files.