|Brief Description:||Adware are unwanted programs that can pose serious threats on the computer.|
Search.smokycap.com is a browser invader that forces to alter your home page, new tab page, and default search engine. Sudden changes to your browser settings are clear proof that system is being hijacked. Search.smokycap.com is look like usual search engine. But, in terms of its deeds, this is in fact diverse from real one. This will not only disrupt your browsing routine. This malware could also lead you to acquire further issues.
Search.smokycap.com uses a number of ways to spread it widely. The prime tactic use by this adware is to deceive PC users by merging it along with free software. This approach kept this adware hidden from the eyes of common users. This is also the culprit why most PC users even think that it is a virus.
This is not a virus, but having Search.smokycap.com is not safe. Your Mac OS X system can be exposed to various issues. Presence of this malware do creates a higher chance for crooks to exploit your PC. It serves as channel to get insight about your likes and choice to certain products online. Promoters will then use such data to endorse their products to the right market.
Search.smokycap.com can even make the system more prone to other attack. It permits to observe your browsing habit. As you surf the web, this can track and record all details about your search queries. Some crucial data as regard to your privacy can be divulged too. In worst case, Search.smokycap.com could even lead to further risk like identity theft.
To be able to return the browser from its previous settings and to stop all weird functions of your PC, then all you need is to remove Search.smokycap.com. It is always best to remove it right away. Do follow the steps below to help you remove and deal with this adware.
Procedures to Remove Search.smokycap.com
Removal steps on this page will help you get rid of the threat effectively using tools and virus scanners. Please make sure that you will carry out the guide in exact order.
Remove Search.smokycap.com from Safari browser
1. Open Safari browser.
2. Go to Safari menu.
3. Choose "Preferences".
4. This will open the Safari settings dialog box.
5. Please select "Extensions" tab to see list of installed extensions.
6. Select Search.smokycap.com from the list. If not found, it may be hiding under a different name. Look for unknown or suspicious item.
7. Turn off the extension by removing the Check Mark on the box beside "Enable Search.smokycap.com extension". You can also Uninstall the extension if you need to permanently remove it from the computer.
8. Please close Safari browser at the moment and proceed to the next procedure.
Manually delete all files dropped by the adware
1. Navigate the Apple Menu bar and click on "Go". Then, select "Go to Folder".
2. Copy and paste, or type the following line in the field and press Enter on your keyboard:
3. LaunchAgents folder should open at this point. Look for items with the following file name:
- .com. Search.smokycap.com.agent.plist
4. Move each file to the Trash. This action may require administrator privilege. If you are not logged in as administrator, you need to provide required password.
5. Go to a different folder again using procedure from Step 1 and copy and paste or type the following line:
6. Do the same process as in Step 3 and move each file to the Trash.
7. Next, we need to look at Application Support folder. Using the same method as above. Go to this location:
8. Find the same files as in Step 3 and drag them to the Trash.
9. Go back to Apple Menu and then select Applications from the drop-down list.
10. Delete the following folders just in case they do exist.
Note: Malware may use alternative names instead of Search.smokycap.com to mislead security programs as well as users. If in case the above list is not present, please look for unfamiliar or suspicious items containing the same extension as update.plist, ltvbit.plist, and download.plist.
Scan with MBAM to easily get rid of Search.smokycap.com
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Drag the downloaded file MBAM-Mac-[version].dmg to Applications folder.
3. Under Applications folder, right-click on Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and select "Open" from the given choices.
4. After opening the tool, click on the "Scan" button to start checking the computer for presence of Search.smokycap.com and other malware.
5. When scanning is done, the tool will display all identified threats. Be sure to select malicious items.
6. Click on "Remove Selected Items" to delete the threats.
We hope that the procedures and removal tool on this page was able to help you in removing Search.smokycap.com. Your computer should now be malware free.