|Brief Description:||Adware are unwanted programs that can pose serious threats on Mac computer.|
Search.montageobox.com is a fake search engine. It replaces the home page, new tab page, and default search engine of the infected machine. Rather than seeing the user’s default search engine, it may end up with Search.montageobox.com even without user’s consent.
Search.montageobox.com was created by cyber crooks to make online profit. It runs well with Safari, Firefox, and Chrome browsers. Right after its forceful access into Mac OS X system, it facilitates browser redirect and start presenting vast amount of online ads. This state could even give the attacker a greater chance to exploit your machine and harm if further.
In the absence of user’s control to its own browser and computer, Search.montageobox.com has full ability to regulate search results. It mainly gives irrelevant and mostly linked to advertiser’s web site. Among the many issues that may count severe caused by Search.montageobox.com is the way it track and record your online habit. This is able to gather all details that may seem relevant to boost up their marketing campaign. More so, those vital data gathered are usually sent to third party and use it for further malicious intent.
Many users were lure by Search.montageobox.com through its tricky terms. This can hide itself behind free software that commonly installed by most computer users. This can also entrap users by placing it as email attachment. Search.montageobox.com even uses malicious web site to spread out this program widely.
In coping problems linked to Search.montageobox.com, the only thing you have to do is to remove this browser hijacker. Do follow the removal steps below to fully get rid of Search.montageobox.com.
Procedures to Remove Search.montageobox.com
Removal steps on this page will help you get rid of the threat effectively using tools and virus scanners. Please make sure that you will carry out the guide in exact order.
Remove Search.montageobox.com from Safari browser
1. Open Safari browser.
2. Go to Safari menu.
3. Choose "Preferences".
4. This will open the Safari settings dialog box.
5. Please select "Extensions" tab to see list of installed extensions.
6. Select Search.montageobox.com from the list. If not found, it may be hiding under a different name. Look for unknown or suspicious item.
7. Turn off the extension by removing the Check Mark on the box beside "Enable Search.montageobox.com extension". You can also Uninstall the extension if you need to permanently remove it from the computer.
8. Please close Safari browser at the moment and proceed to the next procedure.
Manually delete all files dropped by the adware
1. Navigate the Apple Menu bar and click on "Go". Then, select "Go to Folder".
2. Copy and paste, or type the following line in the field and press Enter on your keyboard:
3. LaunchAgents folder should open at this point. Look for items with the following file name:
- .com. Search.montageobox.com.agent.plist
4. Move each file to the Trash. This action may require administrator privilege. If you are not logged in as administrator, you need to provide required password.
5. Go to a different folder again using procedure from Step 1 and copy and paste or type the following line:
6. Do the same process as in Step 3 and move each file to the Trash.
7. Next, we need to look at Application Support folder. Using the same method as above. Go to this location:
8. Find the same files as in Step 3 and drag them to the Trash.
9. Go back to Apple Menu and then select Applications from the drop-down list.
10. Delete the following folders just in case they do exist.
Note: Malware may use alternative names instead of Search.montageobox.com to mislead security programs as well as users. If in case the above list is not present, please look for unfamiliar or suspicious items containing the same extension as update.plist, ltvbit.plist, and download.plist.
Scan with MBAM to easily get rid of Search.montageobox.com
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Drag the downloaded file MBAM-Mac-[version].dmg to Applications folder.
3. Under Applications folder, right-click on Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and select "Open" from the given choices.
4. After opening the tool, click on the "Scan" button to start checking the computer for presence of Search.montageobox.com and other malware.
5. When scanning is done, the tool will display all identified threats. Be sure to select malicious items.
6. Click on "Remove Selected Items" to delete the threats.
We hope that the procedures and removal tool on this page was able to help you in removing Search.montageobox.com. Your computer should now be malware free.