|Brief Description:||Adware are unwanted programs that can pose serious threats on Mac computer.|
Search.installmac.com is a browser invader. It runs well within Safari, Firefox, and Chrome browsers. You may notice that its main target is the most reliable and most famous web browsers. Thus, it is quite possible if one day you are dealing with this kind of threat.
When Search.installmac.com hijacked your web browser, home page, new tab page, and default search engine will be replaced with Search.installmac.com. At times, there might have a number of suspicious web sites where you will be redirected. You may encounter extreme display of ads and redirects to sponsored web pages. The very moment you notice that your system is not working properly, it is certain that something like Search.installmac.com is messing up your Mac OS X system.
There are a number of reasons how Search.installmac.com loaded into your PC without the intention of installing it. But the prime cause of having this fake search engine is when you install suspicious bundle programs. It is often included with no proper mentions about its inclusion. This tactic is often used to confuse mainly the common users in order to install the added program.
Search.installmac.com is used by crooks so as to increase their online revenue. In aiming this goal, this adware even steal private and personal data about the end users. All details that might be useful for their marketing campaign will be gathered. Therefore, Search.installmac.com will surely place even your privacy at high risk.
As soon as you notice this attack, you have to remove it quickly. Be noted that Search.installmac.com can trigger other issues that may arise even in a very short span of time.
Procedures to Remove Search.installmac.com
Removal steps on this page will help you get rid of the threat effectively using tools and virus scanners. Please make sure that you will carry out the guide in exact order.
Remove Search.installmac.com from Safari browser
1. Open Safari browser.
2. Go to Safari menu.
3. Choose "Preferences".
4. This will open the Safari settings dialog box.
5. Please select "Extensions" tab to see list of installed extensions.
6. Select Search.installmac.com from the list. If not found, it may be hiding under a different name. Look for unknown or suspicious item.
7. Turn off the extension by removing the Check Mark on the box beside "Enable Search.installmac.com extension". You can also Uninstall the extension if you need to permanently remove it from the computer.
8. Please close Safari browser at the moment and proceed to the next procedure.
Manually delete all files dropped by the adware
1. Navigate the Apple Menu bar and click on "Go". Then, select "Go to Folder".
2. Copy and paste, or type the following line in the field and press Enter on your keyboard:
3. LaunchAgents folder should open at this point. Look for items with the following file name:
- .com. Search.installmac.com.agent.plist
4. Move each file to the Trash. This action may require administrator privilege. If you are not logged in as administrator, you need to provide required password.
5. Go to a different folder again using procedure from Step 1 and copy and paste or type the following line:
6. Do the same process as in Step 3 and move each file to the Trash.
7. Next, we need to look at Application Support folder. Using the same method as above. Go to this location:
8. Find the same files as in Step 3 and drag them to the Trash.
9. Go back to Apple Menu and then select Applications from the drop-down list.
10. Delete the following folders just in case they do exist.
Note: Malware may use alternative names instead of Search.installmac.com to mislead security programs as well as users. If in case the above list is not present, please look for unfamiliar or suspicious items containing the same extension as update.plist, ltvbit.plist, and download.plist.
Scan with MBAM to easily get rid of Search.installmac.com
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Drag the downloaded file MBAM-Mac-[version].dmg to Applications folder.
3. Under Applications folder, right-click on Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and select "Open" from the given choices.
4. After opening the tool, click on the "Scan" button to start checking the computer for presence of Search.installmac.com and other malware.
5. When scanning is done, the tool will display all identified threats. Be sure to select malicious items.
6. Click on "Remove Selected Items" to delete the threats.
We hope that the procedures and removal tool on this page was able to help you in removing Search.installmac.com. Your computer should now be malware free.