W32.Imsolk.B@mm is a worm discovered to utilized victims computer to mass-mail itself and spread quickly from this technique. Removable drives and mapped drives are also used as a distribution channel of W32.Imsolk.B@mm. Registry entries and autorun.inf file will be added to the system to execute the worm automatically on each Windows start-up.
W32.Imsolk.B@mm also downloads other malware after establishing a connection to a server. Then, it disrupts Internet browsing by replacing the original Windows Hosts file with an altered one. It then gathers email addresses from the infected computer and sends a copy of W32.Imsolk.B@mm.
What are the symptoms of W32.Imsolk.B@mm infection?
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\”Shell” = “Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\csrss.exe”
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\_aVP32.ExE\”Debugger” = “csrss.exe”
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\_aVPCC.ExE\”Debugger” = “csrss.exe”
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\_aVPM.ExE\”Debugger” = “csrss.exe”
…Plus many more registry entries so that it runs when the target files are executed.
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
Special Removal Guide for W32.Imsolk.B@mm
- Download and save FixImsolkB.exe. This tool is from Symantec
- Reboot computer into Safe Mode.
- Double-click the removal tool executable file to begin.
- Click Start to begin the removal process, and then allow the tool to run. When the tool has finished running, The tool will report the results of the operation.
- Restart the computer.
- Run the removal tool again to ensure that the system is clean.
Follow these Procedures to Remove W32.Imsolk.B@mm
Procedure 1: Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking
1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- Turn on the computer and immediately press F8 on the keyboard to enter Windows Advanced Options screen. Make sure to hit the F8 button before Windows logo appears on the screen. Failure to do this will boot Windows normally. If that happens, please repeat the process until you successfully boot into Windows Advanced Options. Please see image below for reference.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.Safe mode loads minimal driver and processes, thus, there is no chance that W32.Imsolk.B@mm will run during this mode.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove W32.Imsolk.B@mm files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove W32.Imsolk.B@mm, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the button below. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed. The tool will launch.
4. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program.
Procedure 3: Run TrendMicro's Anti-Threat Toolkit (ATTK) to check and delete any remnants of W32.Imsolk.B@mm.
As an added help to remove W32.Imsolk.B@mm, you can scan the computer with Anti-Threat Toolkit. This software is provided and distributed by TrendMicro. Follow this procedure to run a scan with this tool.
1. Download the package by clicking on the button below. This will launch a new browser window that contains further details about the tool.
2. Save the file to a location on your hard drive.
3. Browse for the location of the file and double-click to run. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on extracted file attk_far_gui.exe and click on Run as Administrator.
4. When program launch, it will run a command prompt to initialize, prepare components, and update the program.
5. Next it will open the graphical user interface (GUI) of Anti-Threat Toolkit.
6. Click on Scan Now. This operation will scan all W32.Imsolk.B@mm files and processes in your computer and display a list of result for possible Fake Antivirus program and malware that needs to be removed.
7. Tick all items that are detected by the program, and then click Clean. The tool will start removing W32.Imsolk.B@mm components from the computer.
8. If it asked you to restart Windows, please do so.
Protect your PC from W32.Imsolk.B@mm or Similar Attack
Turn On Safe Browsing Features
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious files online. To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome's Enable Phishing and Malware Protection
With Google Chrome's Phishing and Malware Detection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious. To enable Phishing and Malware Protection, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3-Bars Icon) located on top right corner of the browser.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
5. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Enable phishing and malware protection'.
6. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats on the computer. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Tools. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries