Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen is a module of Win32/Sirefef – a multi-part group of Trojan that controls infected user’s Internet browsing by redirecting search result to unknown web sites. It also tries to produce pay-per-click profit for its authors. Basically, main goal of Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen is to drive traffic to a web site that can generate revenue via online ads. This family of rootkit Trojan covers several variants that act upon different functions. This includes downloading other malware, hiding its presence, and executing other payload.
With Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen advanced covert mechanism, it can deter antivirus detection. In some instances, if security program is weak, the Trojan can easily stop the service that belongs to security software.Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen is so dangerous that it can control programs that may run on the affected computer. Most often, it will not allow security programs to initiate. It will block the process and issue a warning that the file is compromised. This threat may create certain lasting changes on the system that will require user to reformat the operating system in order to make the computer usable once more.
Removal of Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen will depend on how serious the damage is. It can be taken away from the computer using virus scan. However, at some point, victim’s resort to reformatting of Windows just to delete this Trojan from the computer. Please use the guide below to get rid of this threat. If this will not work, it is better to consult technical expert first before reformatting the infected computer.
What are the Symptoms of Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen Infection?
When this Trojan enters the computer, your installed antivirus program will display an alert. So far this is the obvious and visible symptoms of the Trojan.
Follow these Procedures to Remove Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen
Procedure 1: Start Computer in Safe Mode
Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- After turning On the power of the computer, just before Windows start, press F8. This is a quick process, so you must press F8 button very timely. Failure to enter this mode will start Windows normally. In that case, you need to turn off the PC again and repeat the process.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed. Safe Mode boots slower than normal and your screen will be in low-resolution format. If it prompts you at boot-up, please proceed to Safe Mode. Loaded driver and processes are minimal so expect that other devices on the computer will not be available during this mode.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the button below. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed. The tool will launch.
4. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program.
Procedure 3: Run TrendMicro's Fake Antivirus Remover (ATTK) to check and delete any remnants of Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen.
As an added help to remove Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen, you can scan the computer with Fake Antivirus Removal Tool. This software is provided and distributed by TrendMicro. Follow this procedure to run a scan with this tool.
1. Download the package by clicking on the button below. This will launch a new browser window that contains further details about the tool.
2. Save the file to a location on your hard drive.
3. Browse for the location of the file and double-click to run. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on extracted file supportcustomizedpackage and click on Run as Administrator.
4. When program launch, it will run a command prompt to initialize, prepare components, and update the program.
5. Next it will open the graphical user interface (GUI) of Anti-Threat Toolkit.
6. Click on Scan Now. This operation will scan all Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen files and processes in your computer and display a list of result for possible Fake Antivirus program and malware that needs to be removed.
7. Tick all items that are detected by the program, and then click Clean. The tool will start removing Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen components from the computer.
8. If it asked you to restart Windows, please do so.
Procedure 4: Remove Rootkit Trojan with Avast aswMBR
A Trojan often drops malware using an advance technology known as rootkit. It hides the installation of Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen from your anti-virus program and injects malicious code to running Windows processes. To complete the clean-up process, you also need to scan and remove rootkit Trojan.
1. Download aswMBR from Avast server. Save it to your computer.
2. Double-click on the file aswMBR.exe to run the program.
3. If it prompts you to download the latest Avast! virus definition, please click Yes. This is necessary to identify most recent version of the Trojan as well as hidden files of Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen.
4. Click on Scan button to start checking your computer for presence of rootkit Trojan and other viruses. It will display a message "Scan finished successfully" when done.
5. Click Fix or FixMBR to start removing infection. If aswMBR contains the latest Avast! virus definition file, it will automatically clean infected files on your PC.
Protect your PC from Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen or Similar Attack
Turn On Security Features of your Internet Browser
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious files online. You may have avoided Win32/Sirefef.FB.Gen virus if this has been active on your PC.To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome's Enable Phishing and Malware Protection
With Google Chrome's Phishing and Malware Detection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious. To enable Phishing and Malware Protection, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3-Bars Icon) located on top right corner of the browser.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
5. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Enable phishing and malware protection'.
6. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats on the computer. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Tools. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries