XP Internet Security 2012 is misleading software. The main goal for creating this product is to steal money from credit card account of its victims. Coming from a large family of fake antivirus, XP Internet Security 2012 spreads through malicious web sites as well as legitimate but compromised sites. Once you visited the said location, it will show an online fake scanner that will produce a bunch of false threat detection. This manner may trick visitors to download the trial version of XP Internet Security 2012 that will serve similar purpose once inside the computer.
The rogue program silently installs self on the system. There are no indication and will never produce any prompts. When successfully installed, you will witness a local virus scan by XP Internet Security 2012. In the end, it will provide results consisting dozens of Trojans, worms and viruses. Keep in mind that this detection is part of a scare tactics. None of the infection is present on the computer. Only remaining contamination inside your PC is XP Internet Security 2012 and the Trojan that comes with it.
Therefore, to recover your computer from the current troubled condition, eliminating the rogue software is the first thing to do. Download and install a powerful anti-malware program and initiate a complete scan as suggested on the removal procedure below.
|OS Affected||Windows XP|
What are the Symptoms of XP Internet Security 2012 Infection?
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation “TLDUpdates” = ‘1’
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\shell\open\command “(Default)” = ‘”%LocalAppData%\htu.exe” -a “%1” %*’
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\exefile\shell\open\command “(Default)” = ‘”%LocalAppData%\htu.exe” -a “%1” %*’
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command “(Default)” = ‘”%LocalAppData%\htu.exe” -a “%1” %*’
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\open\command “(Default)” = ‘”%LocalAppData%\htu.exe” -a “C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe”‘
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\safemode\command “(Default)” = ‘”%LocalAppData%\htu.exe” -a “C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” -safe-mode’
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\shell\open\command “(Default)” = ‘”%LocalAppData%\htu.exe” -a “C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe”‘
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center “AntiVirusOverride” = ‘1’
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center “FirewallOverride” = ‘1’
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temp\(random folder)\htu.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HNHWY89EYUMC7XP01KIDJYTRDF
C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\HNHWY89EYUMC7XP01KIDJYTRDF
C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\htu.exe
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\LOCAL SETTINGS\Temp\HNHWY89EYUMC7XP01KIDJYTRDF
C:\Documents and Settings\Templates\HNHWY89EYUMC7XP01KIDJYTRDF
Note: HNHWY89EYUMC7XP01KIDJYTRDF and htu.exe can be any random characters. The malware uses random file name whenever it is installed on the system.
Procedures to Remove XP Internet Security 2012
Removal steps on this page will help you get rid of the threat effectively using tools and virus scanners. Please make sure that you will carry out the guide in exact order.
Procedure 1: Activate XP Internet Security 2012 and run virus scan
For users with technical skills in dealing with computer problems, executing this manual removal is enough to stop the malware. However, we highly recommend running anti-malware scan to remove other hidden files. For users who are not tech-savvy, you must skip this step. Start on Procedure 2 and proceed onwards. Automatic removal takes longer to accomplish but is less difficult to execute.
1. Please use the serial code below to activate XP Internet Security 2012.
Once the rogue program has activated, you will regain access to Internet and needed tools like task manager and registry editor. Keep in mind that entering this code will not remove the malware. This step will just reverse all changes the rogue software has made to the computer.
Serial Code: 3425-814615-3990
2. Next, we will try to remove XP Internet Security 2012 by running a virus scan under Safe Mode with Networking. To perform this task, please complete these procedures.
Start in Safe Mode with Networking (Windows XP/Vista/7 Instruction)
- Please restart the computer and just before Windows start, press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly. You will be presented with Advanced Options Menu.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
Start Windows 8 in Safe Mode with Networking
- Please restart the computer and as soon as it begins to start, please press Shift+F8 keys.
- Instead of seeing Advance Boot Options, Windows 8 will display Recovery Mode. Continue with the given steps until you reach Safe Mode function.
- Click on 'See advanced repair options'.
- Then, click on Troubleshoot.
- Next, please select Advanced options.
- On the next window, please choose Windows Startup Settings.
- Lastly, click on Restart button. Windows 8 will now restart and boot into Advanced Boot Option wherein you can run the system in Safe Mode with Networking.
3. Open your installed anti-virus programs and update it to the most recent version by automatically downloading necessary updates.
4. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all identified threats. Do not restart or turn off the computer after the scan process. You still need to run another scan. Please follow the next procedure.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove XP Internet Security 2012 files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove XP Internet Security 2012, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the button below. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed. The tool will launch.
4. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program.
Procedure 3: Run TrendMicro's Fake Antivirus Remover (ATTK) to check and delete any remnants of XP Internet Security 2012.
As an added help to remove XP Internet Security 2012, you can scan the computer with Fake Antivirus Removal Tool. This software is provided and distributed by TrendMicro. Follow this procedure to run a scan with this tool.
1. Download the package by clicking on the button below. This will launch a new browser window that contains further details about the tool.
2. Save the file to a location on your hard drive.
3. Browse for the location of the file and double-click to run. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on extracted file supportcustomizedpackage and click on Run as Administrator.
4. When program launch, it will run a command prompt to initialize, prepare components, and update the program.
5. Next it will open the graphical user interface (GUI) of Anti-Threat Toolkit.
6. Click on Scan Now. This operation will scan all XP Internet Security 2012 files and processes in your computer and display a list of result for possible Fake Antivirus program and malware that needs to be removed.
7. Tick all items that are detected by the program, and then click Clean. The tool will start removing XP Internet Security 2012 components from the computer.
8. If it asked you to restart Windows, please do so.
Procedure 4: Remove Rootkit Trojan with Avast aswMBR
A Trojan often drops malware using an advance technology known as rootkit. It hides the installation of XP Internet Security 2012 from your anti-virus program and injects malicious code to running Windows processes. To complete the clean-up process, you also need to scan and remove rootkit Trojan.
1. Download aswMBR from Avast server. Save it to your computer.
2. Double-click on the file aswMBR.exe to run the program.
3. If it prompts you to download the latest Avast! virus definition, please click Yes. This is necessary to identify most recent version of the Trojan as well as hidden files of XP Internet Security 2012.
4. Click on Scan button to start checking your computer for presence of rootkit Trojan and other viruses. It will display a message "Scan finished successfully" when done.
5. Click Fix or FixMBR to start removing infection. If aswMBR contains the latest Avast! virus definition file, it will automatically clean infected files on your PC.
After removing XP Internet Security 2012 from your computer, the next move is to fix any damages caused by the infection. Most anti-virus programs are not designed to fix issues and errors initiated by XP Internet Security 2012. This tool can do many things like repairing of modified winsock, hosts file, proxy, and file associations.
1. Download the program Windows Repair (All-In-One). This is a free tool. Download page will open on a new window.
2. Once downloaded, double-click on the file to launch the program.
3. When the program is running, please select Start Repairs tab. Then, click on Start button to see a list of repair options.
4. Windows Repair comes with pre-selected options. These are the common functions being affected by viruses and malware like XP Internet Security 2012.
5. Click to Start to begin the troubleshooting procedure.
6. Once the repair has finished, the program may prompt you to restart Windows, please reboot the computer.
Protect your PC from XP Internet Security 2012 or Similar Attack
Turn On Safe Browsing Features
Google Chrome's Protection from Dangerous Sites
With Google Chrome's Dangerous Site Protection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious, thus, you can prevent XP Internet Security 2012 infection. To enable protection from dangerous sites, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. In the address bar, type this: chrome://settings/ and then, Press Enter.
3. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
4. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Protect you and your device from dangerous sites'.
5. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious programs including XP Internet Security 2012. To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats such as XP Internet Security 2012. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Open Menu. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries
Edge Browser - SmartScreen Filter
SmartScreen filter is a built-in feature in Microsoft Edge browser that can help you deter malicious programs such as XP Internet Security 2012. It can block malicious web sites and downloads.
1. Open Microsoft Edge browser.
2. Click on More Actions button located at top right corner of the screen.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Under Settings menu, go to Advanced Settings section and click on View Advanced Settings.
5. Scroll down to "help protect my PC from malicious sites and downloads with SmartScreen Filter". Turn it to ON.
6.You may now restart Microsoft Edge browser.