Windows Startup Repair
Windows Startup Repair is categorically included as member of bogus hard drive optimization tool. This family of fake utility has flooded the Internet with numerous versions but symbolically bearing the same graphical user interface. New ones are just a mimic of old variants. While on the system, this dangerous program pretends as useful application that will detect bunch of hard drive and system errors. The only catch is it will not provide solution unless user has acquired the paid version of Windows Startup Repair. In the first place, why would you acquire product that causes system to malfunction and provide nothing but fake warnings? Would you deal with unknown software developers that have no credible product?
In terms of Windows Startup Repair virus infection, it arrives as security alerts when a forged security web site is visited. Getting into the system easily is made available by fragile security and exposed system flaw. After successful penetration, Windows Startup Repair instantly performs invented system scan and quick revelation for various hard drive and system errors. Speedy recovery is offered with the full version that can be obtained only from its own website. Credit card account is requested to finalize payment which billed victim more than what is offered. This rip-off doings of counterfeit applications must put to an end before it manages to extend damage to computer users interconnected via the Internet. We advise the use of legitimate genuine anti-malware program that affords to give real-time defense for end-user.
|OS Affected||Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7|
What are the Symptoms of Windows Startup Repair Virus Infection?
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
%Desktop%\Windows Startup Repair.lnk
%Programs%\Windows Startup Repair
%Programs%\Windows Startup Repair\Windows Startup Repair.lnk
Follow these Procedures to Remove Windows Startup Repair
Procedure 1: Manual Removal
For users with technical skills in dealing with computer problems, executing this manual removal is enough to stop the malware. However, we highly recommend running anti-malware scan to remove other hidden files. For users who are not tech-savvy, you must skip this step. Start on Procedure 2 and proceed onwards. Automatic removal takes longer to accomplish but is less difficult to execute.
1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode
- After Power-On the computer, just before Windows start, press F8.
- From the selections, Select Safe Mode.
2. Remove Registry entries added by Windows Startup Repair. You MUST BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST.
- Click Start > Run.
- Type in the field, regedit.
- Navigate and look for the registry entries mentioned above and delete if necessary.
3. Delete malicious files that the threat added:
- Base on the given location above, browse and delete the file.
- If no location is given, click Start>Search> and search for the files.
- If cannot be deleted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to access Task Manager, see if the file is running in the process. If it is, select the file and click End Process. Perform file delete again.
4. Scan computer with Antivirus Program
- Update antivirus program.
- Scan computer and delete all detected threats.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove Windows Startup Repair files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove Windows Startup Repair, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the button below. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed. The tool will launch.
4. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program.
Procedure 3: Run TrendMicro's Fake Antivirus Remover (ATTK) to check and delete any remnants of Windows Startup Repair.
As an added help to remove Windows Startup Repair, you can scan the computer with Fake Antivirus Removal Tool. This software is provided and distributed by TrendMicro. Follow this procedure to run a scan with this tool.
1. Download the package by clicking on the button below. This will launch a new browser window that contains further details about the tool.
2. Save the file to a location on your hard drive.
3. Browse for the location of the file and double-click to run. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on extracted file attk_far_gui.exe and click on Run as Administrator.
4. When program launch, it will run a command prompt to initialize, prepare components, and update the program.
5. Next it will open the graphical user interface (GUI) of Anti-Threat Toolkit.
6. Click on Scan Now. This operation will scan all Windows Startup Repair files and processes in your computer and display a list of result for possible Fake Antivirus program and malware that needs to be removed.
7. Tick all items that are detected by the program, and then click Clean. The tool will start removing Windows Startup Repair components from the computer.
8. If it asked you to restart Windows, please do so.
Procedure 4: Remove Rootkit Trojan with Avast aswMBR
A Trojan often drops malware using an advance technology known as rootkit. It hides the installation of Windows Startup Repair from your anti-virus program and injects malicious code to running Windows processes. To complete the clean-up process, you also need to scan and remove rootkit Trojan.
1. Download aswMBR from Avast server. Save it to your computer.
2. Double-click on the file aswMBR.exe to run the program.
3. If it prompts you to download the latest Avast! virus definition, please click Yes. This is necessary to identify most recent version of the Trojan as well as hidden files of Windows Startup Repair.
4. Click on Scan button to start checking your computer for presence of rootkit Trojan and other viruses. It will display a message "Scan finished successfully" when done.
5. Click Fix or FixMBR to start removing infection. If aswMBR contains the latest Avast! virus definition file, it will automatically clean infected files on your PC.
Protect your PC from Windows Startup Repair or Similar Attack
Turn On Security Features of your Internet Browser
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious files online. You may have avoided Windows Startup Repair virus if this has been active on your PC. To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome's Enable Phishing and Malware Protection
With Google Chrome's Phishing and Malware Detection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious. To enable Phishing and Malware Protection, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3-Bars Icon) located on top right corner of the browser.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
5. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Enable phishing and malware protection'.
6. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats on the computer. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Tools. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries