Windows Privacy Extension
Windows Privacy Extension is name-changing fake antivirus software. Fresh copies of this malware are released daily in hoping to target as many victims as it can. It is obvious that members from this group wear the same skin. See the screen shot image below.
To be able to reach a target PC, Windows Privacy Extension utilizes a Trojan that can make your antivirus program unstable. It directly hit the running process and instantly kills it. Next, it will corrupt the file making the antivirus useless. Without a protection, target computer becomes more exposed to succeeding attack planned by the Trojan. It can now drop and execute a copy of Windows Privacy Extension to helpless computer.
When the fake software is running, it exhibits so many fake warnings. All of them recount how a virus strikes the computer. It all points to the immediate removal by asking user to purchase the full version of Windows Privacy Extension. Every computer user should disregard this one piece of advice. If not, this will lead to a payment-processing page where attackers will charge your credit card account for a licensed copy of this worthless software.
Remove Windows Privacy Extension when you notice it on the computer. It is rogue and therefore, you should eliminate it as soon as possible. See the guide below to help you take out this malware effectively.
What are the Symptoms of Windows Privacy Extension Infection?
Here is a screenshot image of the rogue program when it begins to scan the computer.
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings “WarnOnHTTPSToHTTPRedirect” = 0
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System “DisableRegedit” = 0
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System “DisableRegistryTools” = 0
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System “DisableTaskMgr” = 0
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Settings “net” = “u_2012-5-24_6″
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Settings “UID” = “mskcufgftr”
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\njsyqwin.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\SafetyKeeper.exe
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
%AppData%\Protector-[random 3 characters].exe
%AppData%\Protector-[random 4 characters].exe
%CommonStartMenu%\Programs\Windows Privacy Extension.lnk
%Desktop%\Windows Privacy Extension.lnk
Follow these Procedures to Remove Windows Privacy Extension
Procedure 1: Manual Removal
For users with technical skills in dealing with computer problems, executing this manual removal is enough to stop the malware. However, we highly recommend running anti-malware scan to remove other hidden files. For users who are not tech-savvy, you must skip this step. Start on Procedure 2 and proceed onwards. Automatic removal takes longer to accomplish but is less difficult to execute.
1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- After turning On the power of the computer, just before Windows start, press F8.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
2. Remove Registry entries added by Windows Privacy Extension. You MUST BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST.
- Click Start > Run.
- Type in the field, regedit.
- Navigate and look for the registry entries mentioned above and delete if necessary.
3. Delete malicious files that the threat added:
- Base on the given location above, browse and delete the file.
- If no location is given, click Start>Search> and search for the files.
- If cannot be deleted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to access Task Manager, see if the file is running in the process. If it is, select the file and click End Process. Perform file delete again.
4. Scan computer with Antivirus Program
- Update antivirus program.
- Scan computer and delete all detected threats.
- Restart Windows.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove Windows Privacy Extension files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove Windows Privacy Extension, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the button below. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed. The tool will launch.
4. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Protect your PC from Windows Privacy Extension or Similar Attack
Turn On Security Features of your Internet Browser
For safe browsing, each browser programs have their own features for blocking malicious Internet traffic. This feature is capable of detecting whether the site you are trying to visit is listed as harmful and infected with viruses. Phishing and malware web sites will not escape the filtering applied by your browser if the feature is active. Here are the safety features for corresponding Internet browsers.
- Internet Explorer - Smart Screen Filter
This feature of Internet Explorer will check web pages for harmful entities. SmartScreen Filter immediately alerts you if it found the page suspicious. View complete information from this page.
- Google Chrome - Phishing and Malware Protection
Safe browsing feature of Google Chrome uses a technology that protects the computer against virus and malware attacks that may arise while browsing the web. Click here to activate this feature.
- Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Site and Web Forgeries