Total Virus Scanner
Total Virus Scanner is a potentially unwanted program that will pretend as a security program for Windows system. It will provide false scan results stating that computer is infected with various type of malware. However, this detection is just a product of the author’s imaginary perception in order to trick its victims. Detected threats do not really exist on the computer and are just a scare tactics. To be able to deceive users even more, this threat will announce various infections via pop-up alerts. These pop-ups will mimic Windows typical warning messages to make it look legitimate. Each time Windows starts, a scan by Total Virus Scanner will be executed and fake results are provided. A modification is made on the registry that allows this automatic start-up.
In the presence of Total Virus Scanner, more harm can be done on the computer. It may lock the desktop or prevent execution of any installed application. Internet browser will also be redirected to unwanted web sites. Windows functionalities that are necessary in manually removing this malware are also disabled. It also ends security-related process that will render installed anti-virus program useless. It is a must to remove Total Virus Scanner as soon as possible. Only use an effective and trusted program for this type of infection. Having the licensed version of Total Virus Scanner will not do any good and is just a waste of money for the end-user.
|OS Affected||Windows XP, Windows Vista|
What are the Symptoms of Total Virus Scanner Infection?
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\shell\open\command “(Default)” = “%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\pw.exe” /START “%1″ %*
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\pezfile\shell\open\command “(Default)” = “%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\pw.exe” /START “%1″ %*
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command “(Default)” = “%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\pw.exe” /START “%1″ %*
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pezfile\shell\open\command “(Default)” = “%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\pw.exe” /START “%1″ %*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center “AntiVirusOverride” = “1″
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center “FirewallOverride” = “1″
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\rsKOP
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\pw.exe
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\MSASCui.exe
Follow these Procedures to Remove Total Virus Scanner
Procedure 1: Manual Removal
For users with technical skills in dealing with computer problems, executing this manual removal is enough to stop the malware. However, we highly recommend running anti-malware scan to remove other hidden files. For users who are not tech-savvy, you must skip this step. Start on Procedure 2 and proceed onwards. Automatic removal takes longer to accomplish but is less difficult to execute.
1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- After turning On the power of the computer, just before Windows start, press F8.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
2. Remove Registry entries added by Total Virus Scanner. You MUST BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST.
- Click Start > Run.
- Type in the field, regedit.
- Navigate and look for the registry entries mentioned above and delete if necessary.
3. Delete malicious files that the threat added:
- Base on the given location above, browse and delete the file.
- If no location is given, click Start>Search> and search for the files.
- If cannot be deleted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to access Task Manager, see if the file is running in the process. If it is, select the file and click End Process. Perform file delete again.
4. Scan computer with Antivirus Program
- Update antivirus program.
- Scan computer and delete all detected threats.
- Restart Windows.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove Total Virus Scanner files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove Total Virus Scanner, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the button below. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed. The tool will launch.
4. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Protect your PC from Total Virus Scanner or Similar Attack
Turn On Security Features of your Internet Browser
For safe browsing, each browser programs have their own features for blocking malicious Internet traffic. This feature is capable of detecting whether the site you are trying to visit is listed as harmful and infected with viruses. Phishing and malware web sites will not escape the filtering applied by your browser if the feature is active. Here are the safety features for corresponding Internet browsers.
- Internet Explorer - Smart Screen Filter
This feature of Internet Explorer will check web pages for harmful entities. SmartScreen Filter immediately alerts you if it found the page suspicious. View complete information from this page.
- Google Chrome - Phishing and Malware Protection
Safe browsing feature of Google Chrome uses a technology that protects the computer against virus and malware attacks that may arise while browsing the web. Click here to activate this feature.
- Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Site and Web Forgeries