System Security 2011 is a program that every computer users must beware. This is not ordinary software neither a usual security application. System Security 2011 is closely connected with a Trojan that it uses to gain an access on target computer. There are no indications that the Trojan is executing changes on the system, not even your antivirus may detect its activities.
If System Security 2011 is successfully loaded inside your PC, it starts producing a bunch of security alerts situating danger on the system. This fake antivirus also simulates a virus scan that identifies a number of Trojans and viruses. Employing such fake alerts and manufactured scan results are scare devices to trick users in order to induce them into acquiring the paid version of System Security 2011.
Supplementary impairment it can cause to infected computer are the following:
- The malware can disable Windows system tools like task manager and registry editor. Purpose of this execution is to prevent manual removal and to avoid ending process that links to System Security 2011.
- It attempts to block access to executable files. Running installed program produces warning alerts announcing that the file is infected. The alert will arise from system tray pretending to be a legitimate Windows security pop-up.
- System Security 2011 will come up with a warning about successive intrusion attempts. This alarm masks as Windows Firewall Alert to mislead its prey.
As you may observe, System Security 2011 makes an effort to copy what legitimate antivirus program carried out during scan and detect process. However, you may spot rogue ones when concerns about security troubles turns out to be an annoyance.
After the installation, System Security 2011 runs a virus scan on itself. Next, it provides a series of detection and report a number of threats needed to eliminate from the system. It prompts to activate the program by purchasing the registration key from their web site.
The malware mimics Windows start-up process indicating system failure. It shows this message:
System Security 2011 RESTORES Windows after system failure caused my spyware and malware activity.
ACTIVATE System Security 2011 to resume the protection of your computer.
Some more fake warnings and alerts produced by System Security to mislead computer users.
Unwanted software (Malware) or tracking cookies have been found during last scan. It is highly recommended to remove it from your computer.
Keylogger Zeus was detected and put in quarantine.
Keylogger Zeus is a very dangerous software used by criminals to steal personal data such as credit card information, access to banking accounts, passwords to social networks and e-mails.
Windows Security Alert
To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this program.
Do you want to keep blocking this program?
Name: Zeus Trojan
Warning! infection found
Unauthorized sending of E-MAIL with subject “Find girl”
to email address
Serious security vulnerabilities were detected on this computer. Your privacy and personal data may be unsafe. Do you want to protect your PC?
Other Detection Name for System Security 2011
The malware will load using the process:
Malicious files created by System Security 2011 are the following:
%AppData%\(random)\System Security 2011.ico
%StartMenu%\Programs\System Security 2011\
%StartMenu%\Programs\System Security 2011\System Security 2011.lnk
%UserProfile%\Desktop\System Security 2011.lnk
System Security 2011 will create the following registry entries:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\System Security 2011
Follow these Procedures to Remove System Security 2011
Procedure 1: Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking
1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- Turn on the computer and immediately press F8 on the keyboard to enter Windows Advanced Options screen. Make sure to hit the F8 button before Windows logo appears on the screen. Failure to do this will boot Windows normally. If that happens, please repeat the process until you successfully boot into Windows Advanced Options. Please see image below for reference.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.Safe mode loads minimal driver and processes, thus, there is no chance that System Security 2011 will run during this mode.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove System Security 2011 files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove System Security 2011, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the button below. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed. The tool will launch.
4. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program.
Procedure 3: Run TrendMicro's Anti-Threat Toolkit (ATTK) to check and delete any remnants of System Security 2011.
As an added help to remove System Security 2011, you can scan the computer with Anti-Threat Toolkit. This software is provided and distributed by TrendMicro. Follow this procedure to run a scan with this tool.
1. Download the package by clicking on the button below. This will launch a new browser window that contains further details about the tool.
2. Save the file to a location on your hard drive.
3. Browse for the location of the file and double-click to run. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on extracted file attk_far_gui.exe and click on Run as Administrator.
4. When program launch, it will run a command prompt to initialize, prepare components, and update the program.
5. Next it will open the graphical user interface (GUI) of Anti-Threat Toolkit.
6. Click on Scan Now. This operation will scan all System Security 2011 files and processes in your computer and display a list of result for possible Fake Antivirus program and malware that needs to be removed.
7. Tick all items that are detected by the program, and then click Clean. The tool will start removing System Security 2011 components from the computer.
8. If it asked you to restart Windows, please do so.
Protect your PC from System Security 2011 or Similar Attack
Turn On Safe Browsing Features
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious files online. To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome's Enable Phishing and Malware Protection
With Google Chrome's Phishing and Malware Detection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious. To enable Phishing and Malware Protection, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3-Bars Icon) located on top right corner of the browser.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
5. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Enable phishing and malware protection'.
6. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats on the computer. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Tools. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries