System Recovery Virus
System Recovery virus is must avoid application. It may sound like real computer utility software but the truth is, it is exists as nuisance to system. System Recovery happens to be bad software in disguise. Existence of rogue program such as this signifies that not all dreadful programs are able to restrain by prevalent anti-virus and anti-malware product.
System Recovery is modeled in exquisite graphical user interface to easily betray users. The fact that it mimics the look of legitimate system utility software the more believable it can be to susceptible victims. When it gains trust, very timely that pop-up messages are displayed serving as convincing factor to further trick a target.
Every now and then, System Recovery files redundant memory errors. It also states severe hard drive and system problems in form of fake alerts like the following:
Windows Recovery Diagnostics will scan the system to identify performance problems.
Start or Cancel
Hard drive critical error. Run a system diagnostic utility to check your hard disk drive for errors. Windows can’t find hard disk space. Hard drive error.
An error occurred while reading system files. Run a system diagnostic utility to check your hard disk drive for errors.
As mentioned, these warnings are fake. Extensive display of these alerts soon will be realized as nuisance rather than valid notification. For this reason, there is no reason to obtain the licensed version. Avoid System Recovery by any means.
|OS Affected||Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7|
What are the Symptoms of System Recovery Infection?
In an attempt to further mislead computer users, System Recovery uninterruptedly issue fake alert messages such as these:
Damaged hard drive clusters detected. Private data is at risk.
Hard Drive not found. Missing hard drive.
RAM memory usage is critically high. RAM memory failure.
Windows can’t find hard disk space. Hard drive error
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \System32\496A8300. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware.
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\ActiveDesktop “NoChangingWallPaper” = ’1′
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer “NoDesktop” = ’1′
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\System “DisableTaskMgr” = ’1′
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run “(random).exe”
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run “(random)”
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\policies\system “DisableTaskMgr” = ’1′
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download “CheckExeSignatures” = ‘no’
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Advanced “Hidden” = ’0′
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
%StartMenu%\Programs\System Recovery\System Recovery.lnk
%StartMenu%\Programs\System Recovery\Uninstall System Recovery.lnk
Follow these Procedures to Remove System Recovery Virus
Procedure 1: Manual Removal
For users with technical skills in dealing with computer problems, executing this manual removal is enough to stop the malware. However, we highly recommend running anti-malware scan to remove other hidden files. For users who are not tech-savvy, you must skip this step. Start on Procedure 2 and proceed onwards. Automatic removal takes longer to accomplish but is less difficult to execute.
1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- After turning On the power of the computer, just before Windows start, press F8.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
2. Remove Registry entries added by System Recovery Virus. You MUST BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST.
- Click Start > Run.
- Type in the field, regedit.
- Navigate and look for the registry entries mentioned above and delete if necessary.
3. Delete malicious files that the threat added:
- Base on the given location above, browse and delete the file.
- If no location is given, click Start>Search> and search for the files.
- If cannot be deleted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to access Task Manager, see if the file is running in the process. If it is, select the file and click End Process. Perform file delete again.
4. Scan computer with Antivirus Program
- Update antivirus program.
- Scan computer and delete all detected threats.
- Restart Windows.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove System Recovery Virus files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove System Recovery Virus, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the button below. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed. The tool will launch.
4. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Protect your PC from System Recovery Virus or Similar Attack
Turn On Security Features of your Internet Browser
For safe browsing, each browser programs have their own features for blocking malicious Internet traffic. This feature is capable of detecting whether the site you are trying to visit is listed as harmful and infected with viruses. Phishing and malware web sites will not escape the filtering applied by your browser if the feature is active. Here are the safety features for corresponding Internet browsers.
- Internet Explorer - Smart Screen Filter
This feature of Internet Explorer will check web pages for harmful entities. SmartScreen Filter immediately alerts you if it found the page suspicious. View complete information from this page.
- Google Chrome - Phishing and Malware Protection
Safe browsing feature of Google Chrome uses a technology that protects the computer against virus and malware attacks that may arise while browsing the web. Click here to activate this feature.
- Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Site and Web Forgeries