SoftSafeness is another unwanted program from the same authors who developed QuickHealCleaner, SaveKeeper and SystemCop. This is a harmful program because it can penetrate a computer unknown to user and install itself invisibly. When successfully installed, it will launched its own virus scan and inform users for a number of threats detected. SoftSafeness will give only one method to clean the infections and that is to buy the registered version of the program.
Suffering computer may not be easily recovered even getting the full version of this useless program. It was assisted by a trojan from intrusion to installation. A number of files and registry entries were already embedded into the system and most antivirus program will have a hard time locating it. Remember, to avoid this instances, you must not download any programs from a third party provider and prevent visiting websites that are suspicious.
What are the Symptoms of this Rogue Infection?
Screenshot image of SoftSafeness virus scanner.
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\SoftSafeness
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum \Root\LEGACY_SOFTSAFENESSSVC
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run “ozn695m5.exe”
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run “SoftSafeness”
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
- c:\Program Files\SoftSafeness Software
- c:\Program Files\SoftSafeness Software\SoftSafeness
- c:\Program Files\SoftSafeness Software\SoftSafeness\SoftSafeness.exe
- c:\Program Files\SoftSafeness Software\SoftSafeness\uninstall.exe
- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\SoftSafeness.lnk
- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\SoftSafeness
- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\SoftSafeness\1 SoftSafeness.lnk
- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\SoftSafeness\2 Homepage.lnk
- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\SoftSafeness\3 Uninstall.lnk
How to Remove SoftSafeness Manually
1. Restart your computer in SafeMode
– After Power-On the computer, just before Windows start, press F8
– From the selections, Select SafeMode
2. Remove Registry entry/entries that the threat added. You MUST BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST.
– Click Start > Run
– Type in the field, regedit
– Navigate and look for the registry entry/entries mentioned above and delete if necessary
3. Delete malicious file/files that the threat added:
– Base on the given location above, browse and delete the file
– If no location is given, click Start>Search> and search for the file/files.
– If cannot be deleted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to access Task Manager, see if the file is running in the process. If it is, select the file and click End Process. Perform file delete again.
4. Scan computer with Antivirus Program
– Update antivirus program
– Scan computer and delete all detected threats.