SoftCop – Online Protection is a fake security alert that pretend to be a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) developed to spread an unwanted program. SoftCop – Online Protection will produce this alert to make victims believe that computer is in under attack and a removal is required to combat the threat. It will ask for the acquisition of rogue program SoftCop using the message:
Detected security problems on your computer Spyware is software, which can gather information from user’s computer throughout Internet connection an send them to its creater. Gather information…”
What are the Symptoms of SoftCop – Online Protection Infection?
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run “mxcq.exe”
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “SoftCop”
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
- %Program Files%\SoftCop Software\SoftCop\SoftCop.exe
- %Program Files%\SoftCop Software\SoftCop\uninstall.exe
- %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Desktop\SoftCop.lnk
- %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\SoftCop
- %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\SoftCop\1 SoftCop.lnk
- %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\SoftCop\2 Homepage.lnk
- %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\SoftCop\3 Uninstall.lnk
How to Easily Remove SoftCop – Online Protection
1. Print this procedure as we need to close all programs running later.
2. Download AntiMalware Application here and save it to your Desktop.
3. Close all open applications.
4. Double-Click on the downloaded mbam-setup.exe to start the installation. If unable to execute, infections on computer is preventing it from running, rename the file mbam-setup.exe to anything (like myfile.exe)
5. Run the installation on the default settings. No changes are necessary.
6. Just before completing the installation, make sure that the following are marked check.
– Update the program
– Launch the program
7. The tool will run and update itself after installation. Close it after the update.
8. Restart your computer in SafeMode
– After Power-On the computer, just before Windows start, press F8
– From the selections, Select SafeMode
9. Click on the icon and start to Perform Full Scan to begin scanning your computer for SoftCop related files.
10. After scanning, a message will appear stating that the scan is completed successfully. Click OK.
11. Click Show Results and detected threats will be displayed.
12. Make sure that all threats are marked check, then click Remove Selected to begin removal of the malicious files.
13. Exit AntiMalware Apps and restart your computer.
14. SoftCop and all its files are now removed from your computer. To guard your computer from this threat and avoid future infections, you may want real-time protection from a full version of anti-malware program..