Soft Stronghold (alias SoftStronghold Online Protection) is another addition to the family of fake security programs where Soft Veteran, Soft Cop and Soft Soldier also came from. All of these programs are using a hoax information dissemination to be able to promote themselves. Just like the other, Soft Stronghold will provide fake antivirus scan results and warning alerts to draw victims attention into obtaining the licensed version of the program.
Users common instinct when an alert was displayed on the website is to download the recommended removal tool . This is the trick that “SoftStronghold Online Protection” is being implemented. It will exhibit false warning message about potential security risks and prompt user to download the said fake program. Aiming for the positive benefits of the program users will be convinced to download Soft Stronghold not knowing that it will add more harm on computers.
What are the Symptoms of Soft Stronghold Infection?
SoftStronghold – Online Protection mimics Windows Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run “bgc6.tmp.exe”
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run “SoftStronghold”
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\SoftStronghold
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
- c:\Program Files\SoftStronghold Software\SoftStronghold\SoftStronghold.exe
- c:\Program Files\SoftStronghold Software\SoftStronghold\uninstall.exe
- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\SoftStronghold.lnk
- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\SoftStronghold\1 SoftStronghold.lnk
- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\SoftStronghold\2 Homepage.lnk
- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\SoftStronghold\3 Uninstall.lnk
How to Remove Soft Stronghold – Online Protection Manually
1. Restart your computer in SafeMode
– After Power-On the computer, just before Windows start, press F8
– From the selections, Select SafeMode
2. Remove Registry entries that the threat added. You MUST BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST.
– Click Start > Run
– Type in the field, regedit
– Navigate and look for the registry entries mentioned above and delete if necessary
3. Delete malicious file/files that the threat added:
– Base on the given location above, browse and delete the file
– If no location is given, click Start>Search> and search for the files.
– If cannot be deleted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to access Task Manager, see if the file is running in the process. If it is, select the file and click End Process. Perform file delete again.
4. Scan computer with Antivirus Program
– Update antivirus program
– Scan computer and delete all detected threats.
How to Easily Remove Soft Stronghold
1. A free tool called MalwareBytes AntiMalware can remove Soft Stronghold. Download and scan with MBAM now.