Soft Soldier will disguise as a security program for Windows. It will use deceitful scheme in order to misinform people with fake security findings. SoftSoldier is an updated version of malware like Trust Fighter, Trust Soldier, Safe Fighter, and many more in the same group. This bogus security program will do nothing but to warn computers for unreal security risks it found. It was presented only to pushed people into obtaining the paid version of SoftSoldier.
A rouge developer uses a Trojan that can sneak into computers without a notice. This Trojan is encrypted to conceal itself from antivirus program. Once it penetrates the system, Trojan will modify Internet setting and redirect browser to a web site where visitor can download Soft Soldier virus.
No one will feel security in the presence of Soft Soldier. Its actions are annoying. The malware will flood the screen with fake security alerts and warning messages. Moreover, it will run a virus scan on itself each time Windows starts. To stop the malware from bothering your operation, follow the guide below. It will help you remove Soft Soldier and all components that are present on the computer.
|OS Affected||Windows XP, Windows Vista|
What are the Symptoms of Soft Soldier Infection?
This screenshot image of SoftSoldier virus scanner is a duplicate interface from its previous released.
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run =”SoftSoldier.exe”
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\SoftSoldier
The threat will drop the following malicious file/files:
- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\SoftSoldier.lnk
- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Soft Soldier\1 SoftSoldier.lnk
- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Soft Soldier\2 Homepage.lnk
- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Soft Soldier\3 Uninstall.lnk
- c:\Program Files\SoftSoldier Software
- c:\Program Files\SoftSoldier Software\SoftSoldier
- c:\Program Files\SoftSoldier Software\SoftSoldier\SoftSoldier.exe
- c:\Program Files\SoftSoldier Software\SoftSoldier\uninstall.exe
Follow these Procedures to Remove Soft Soldier
Procedure 1: Manual Removal
For users with technical skills in dealing with computer problems, executing this manual removal is enough to stop the malware. However, we highly recommend running anti-malware scan to remove other hidden files. For users who are not tech-savvy, you must skip this step. Start on Procedure 2 and proceed onwards. Automatic removal takes longer to accomplish but is less difficult to execute.
1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- After turning On the power of the computer, just before Windows start, press F8.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
2. Remove Registry entries that the threat added. You MUST BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST. See how.
- Click Start > Run. You can also press [Windows Key]+[R] on keyboard to run 'Open' command.
- Type in the field, regedit.
- Navigate and look for the registry entries mentioned above and delete if present.
3. Delete malicious files that the threat added:
- Base on the given location above, browse and delete the file.
- If no location is given, click Start>Search> and search for the files.
- If cannot be deleted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to access Task Manager, see if the file is running in the process. If it is, select the file and click End Process. Perform file delete again.
4. Scan computer with Antivirus Program
- Update antivirus program.
- Scan computer and delete all detected threats.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove Soft Soldier files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove Soft Soldier, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the button below. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed. The tool will launch.
4. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program.
Procedure 3: Run TrendMicro's Fake Antivirus Remover (ATTK) to check and delete any remnants of Soft Soldier.
As an added help to remove Soft Soldier, you can scan the computer with Fake Antivirus Removal Tool. This software is provided and distributed by TrendMicro. Follow this procedure to run a scan with this tool.
1. Download the package by clicking on the button below. This will launch a new browser window that contains further details about the tool.
2. Save the file to a location on your hard drive.
3. Browse for the location of the file and double-click to run. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on extracted file attk_far_gui.exe and click on Run as Administrator.
4. When program launch, it will run a command prompt to initialize, prepare components, and update the program.
5. Next it will open the graphical user interface (GUI) of Anti-Threat Toolkit.
6. Click on Scan Now. This operation will scan all Soft Soldier files and processes in your computer and display a list of result for possible Fake Antivirus program and malware that needs to be removed.
7. Tick all items that are detected by the program, and then click Clean. The tool will start removing Soft Soldier components from the computer.
8. If it asked you to restart Windows, please do so.
Protect your PC from Soft Soldier or Similar Attack
Turn On Safe Browsing Features
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious files online. To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome's Enable Phishing and Malware Protection
With Google Chrome's Phishing and Malware Detection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious. To enable Phishing and Malware Protection, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3-Bars Icon) located on top right corner of the browser.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
5. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Enable phishing and malware protection'.
6. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats on the computer. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Tools. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries