AV Security Suite is a bogus anti-malware product that will sure to dominate computers around the world. It plays as a ransomware that will make annoyances on computer and asks victims to pay for the registered version of the program to be able to stop this computer instability. AV Security Suite is another product of cyber-criminals who also introduced Antispyware Soft months ago. AV Security Suite wore the same graphical user interface as its predecessor. A Trojan that was created specifically to spread this bogus security program drops it onto the computer discretely.
To convince its victim that it was a legitimate program, it will display a slogan “Innovative protection for your PC” on its scanner windows. Aside from that, it will scan a computer and detects threats that does not present on computer in its effort to persuade a target user from obtaining the licensed version of AV Security Suite. Please be aware that this rogue program should be removed from computer as soon as possible and getting its licensed version should not be an option. Use only legal programs and tools to take out Security Suite from the infected computer. Most of all, stay away from bad web sites to avoid the infection.
What are the Symptoms of AV Security Suite Infection?
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download “RunInvalidSignatures” =”1″
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings “ProxyOverride” =”<local>”
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings “ProxyServer” = “http=127.0.0.1:5555”
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Associations “LowRiskFileTypes” = “.exe”
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Attachments “SaveZoneInformation” = “1”
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run “[random]”
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run “[random]”
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
- %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\[random]
- %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\[random]\[random]tssd.exe
Follow these Procedures to Remove AV Security Suite
Procedure 1: Scan Computer in Safe Mode Using Installed Anti-virus Program
1. First, we will try to remove AV Security Suite by running a virus scan under Safe Mode with Networking. To perform this task, please complete these procedures.
Start in Safe Mode with Networking (Windows XP/Vista/7 Instruction)
- Please restart the computer and just before Windows start, press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly. You will be presented with Advanced Options Menu.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
Start Windows 8 in Safe Mode with Networking
- Please restart the computer and as soon as it begins to start, please press Shift+F8 keys.
- Instead of seeing Advance Boot Options, Windows 8 will display Recovery Mode. Continue with the given steps until you reach Safe Mode function.
- Click on 'See advanced repair options'.
- Then, click on Troubleshoot.
- Next, please select Advanced options.
- On the next window, please choose Windows Startup Settings.
- Lastly, click on Restart button. Windows 8 will now restart and boot into Advanced Boot Option wherein you can run the system in Safe Mode with Networking.
2. Open your installed anti-virus programs and update it to the most recent version by automatically downloading necessary updates.
3. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all identified threats. Do not restart or turn off the computer after the scan process. You still need to run another scan. Please follow the next procedure.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove AV Security Suite files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove AV Security Suite, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the button below. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. Save the file on your hard drive or any accessible location.
2. Install the program after downloading. Setup with default configuration, there is no need to change anything.
3. Before the installation completes, please put a check mark on "download update."
4. It will launch on itself after installation. The tool will also initiate an update and will require connection to its server.
5. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program. If it requires you to reboot Windows, please proceed.
Procedure 3: Run Another Scan Using RogueKiller
1. Click the button below to Download the program RogueKiller. This tool is effective in finding malware components left inside your computer.
2. After downloading the file, double-click on it to run the program.
Note: When using Internet Explorer 8 or 9, SmartScreen Filter will alert you that the file is "not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer." To proceed, please click on Actions. Select Run anyway from SmartScreen Filter pop-up.
3. During the first time of launching the software, it will run a scan check the computer for presence of threats. Let the scan to finish.
4. Click on the Scan button on right side of the console. See image below for reference. Be sure that you have check mark on MBR Scan, Check Faked, and AntiRootkit. RogueKiller will scan the computer for infected registry entries, driver, and files.
5. After scanning, the tool will display a list of identified threats. Please look at all the tabs to view infected components associated with AV Security Suite and other threats.
6. Select infected items and make sure that it has a check mark. Usually, the program will select all malicious items.
7. Click Delete on the Options area to remove selected items. Do the same on all tabs that contains infected elements.
8. Please restart Windows.
Removing AV Security Suite from an infected PC may not resolve all issues. Most of the time, there are inconsistencies left by the malware like disabled Internet connection, hidden files and folders, and missing shortcut icons. You may solve these errors by performing the following steps.
Fix and Restore Internet Connection After AV Security Suite Infection
1. Please run RogueKiller once more.
2. Go to Options and click on the following buttons one at a time:
- Host Fix - The tool will restore the original Windows Hosts file.
- Proxy Fix - It will remove proxy settings on your Internet browser that was configured by the malware.
- DNS Fix - Clicking on this button will reverse changes made by the rogue program on your DNS Settings.
3. You may now restart the computer.
Steps to Restore Shortcut Links and Start Menu Icons
During the presence of AV Security Suite, it will perform some changes on the registry that will result to missing shortcut links and Start menu icons. The following steps will help you restore these settings back to normal.
1. Open RogueKiller once again. We will use this tool to restore missing items in your Start menu and desktop.
2. Go to Options and click on the ShortcutsFix button. This will restore missing shortcut links and Start Menu icons. The scan would take a few minutes.
Run Windows Repair Tool
After removing AV Security Suite from your computer, the next move is to fix any damages caused by the infection. Most anti-virus programs are not designed to fix issues and errors initiated by AV Security Suite. This tool can do many things like repairing of modified winsock, hosts file, proxy, and file associations.
1. Download the program Windows Repair (All-In-One). This is a free tool. Download page will open on a new window.
2. Once downloaded, double-click on the file to launch the program.
3. When the program is running, please select Start Repairs tab. Then, click on Start button to see a list of repair options.
4. Windows Repair comes with pre-selected options. These are the common functions being affected by viruses and malware like AV Security Suite.
5. Click to Start to begin the troubleshooting procedure.
6. Once the repair has finished, the program may prompt you to restart Windows, please reboot the computer.
Protect your PC from AV Security Suite or Similar Attack
Turn On Security Features of your Internet Browser
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious files online. You may have avoided AV Security Suite virus if this has been active on your PC. To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome's Enable Phishing and Malware Protection
With Google Chrome's Phishing and Malware Detection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious. To enable Phishing and Malware Protection, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3-Bars Icon) located on top right corner of the browser.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
5. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Enable phishing and malware protection'.
6. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats on the computer. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Tools. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries