Alfa Defender is a fake security program that can easily deceive computer users that it was a legitimate one by issuing fake warning messages and endorses itself as the removal tool. Displaying excessive pop-up alerts and warning messages are common scare tactics employed by Alfa Defender to be able to mislead its victims and convince them to purchase the full version of the program. In most occasions, this fake antivirus program will spread via fake security web sites. This site is designed to run online virus scan on visitor’s computer. Then, scan will show false results and prompts to download a trial version of Alfa Defender.
Once this program is loaded on to the computer, it will again produce annoying alerts and messages. Aside from that, it will perform a local virus scan each time Windows starts. Dozens of threats will be detected and again it will prompt to clean the computer with the licensed version of Alfa Defender. It is stated repeatedly that rogue programs are made without the capability to remove any threats neither protect a computer. Thus, obtaining this program is useless. It is necessary, remove Alfa Defender instantly with legitimate program that can be downloaded for free.
|OS Affected||Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7|
What are the Symptoms of Alfa Defender Infection?
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “Alfa Defender”
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
Follow these Procedures to Remove Alfa Defender
Procedure 1: Manual Removal
For users with technical skills in dealing with computer problems, executing this manual removal is enough to stop the malware. However, we highly recommend running anti-malware scan to remove other hidden files. For users who are not tech-savvy, you must skip this step. Start on Procedure 2 and proceed onwards. Automatic removal takes longer to accomplish but is less difficult to execute.
1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- After turning On the power of the computer, just before Windows start, press F8.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
2. Remove Registry entries that the threat added. You MUST BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST.
- Press [Windows Key] + [R] on your keyboard.
- Type regedit in the Open box.
- Navigate and look for the registry entries mentioned above and delete if found.
3. Delete malicious files that the threat added:
- Base on the given location above, browse and delete all Alfa Defender files.
- If cannot be deleted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to access Task Manager.
- See if the file is running in the process. If it is, select the file and click End Process. Perform file delete again.
4. Scan computer with Antivirus Program
- Connect to the Internet and update your anti-virus program.
- Run a scan on the computer and delete all detected threats.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove Alfa Defender files with SuperAntiSpyware
We have provided a tool that you can use to remove Alfa Defender from the computer in a much simpler way. Click the Download SAS button below to obtain the free version from their official server.
1. Download the portable version of SuperAntiSpyware.
2. Save the file on your hard drive. SAS portable is using random filename so that it can elude malware from blocking your download. When finished downloading, double-click on the file to install the program.
3. There is no need to change anything on the setup process. Just install the program with its default configuration.
4. During installation, SuperAntiSpyware will check for database update from their server. It needs an Internet connection during this process.
5. After the setup. SAS will run and is now ready to scan the computer for harmful components related to Alfa Defender.
6. Click on Scan your Computer... to begin the process.
7. When done scanning, it will display a list of identified infected items. You may remove it directly or place them in quaratine folder.
8. You may now restart the computer.
Protect your PC from Alfa Defender or Similar Attack
Turn On Security Features of your Internet Browser
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious files online. You may have avoided Alfa Defender virus if this has been active on your PC. To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome's Enable Phishing and Malware Protection
With Google Chrome's Phishing and Malware Detection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious. To enable Phishing and Malware Protection, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3-Bars Icon) located on top right corner of the browser.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
5. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Enable phishing and malware protection'.
6. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats on the computer. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Tools. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries