Protection Center is a malicious security program that where other computer parasites such as Your Protection, User Protection and Paladin Antivirus came from. If you have been infected with this malware, there is no other thing to do than to remove Protection Center immediately from a computer. If it resides on the system, it will alert settings and create its own entry on the registry so that it will start itself when Windows is started. A frequent alert is another trick it uses to scare computer users about presence of virus, trojan and other unwanted application. It will also configure to launch a virus scan every time Windows starts. This scan will generate fabricated scan results that will prompt user to get the full version to be able to clean computer from threats.
Only way to stop its invasion on the computer is by removing Protection Center together with all trojan and virus that comes with it. Manual removal may be impossible since it did not created an entry on the add/remove program of Windows. This was intended to retain this rogue application and prevent users from removing it without paying for the registered version first.
What are the Symptoms of Protection Center Infection?
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\Protection Center
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\System “DisableTaskMgr” = “1″
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run “Protection Center”
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\[random].dll
- %UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Protection Center.lnk
- %UserProfile%\Desktop\Protection Center Support.lnk
- %UserProfile%\Desktop\Protection Center.lnk
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Protection Center
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Protection Center\About.lnk
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Protection Center\Activate.lnk
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Protection Center\Buy.lnk
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Protection Center\Protection Center Support.lnk
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Protection Center\Protection Center.lnk
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Protection Center\Scan.lnk
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Protection Center\Settings.lnk
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Protection Center\Update.lnk
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center\about.ico
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center\activate.ico
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center\buy.ico
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center\dig.db
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center\digext.dll
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center\dighook.dll
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center\digprot.exe
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center\help.ico
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center\scan.ico
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center\settings.ico
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center\splash.mp3
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center\Uninstall.exe
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center\update.ico
- c:\Program Files\Protection Center\virus.mp3
How to Remove Protection Center Manually
1. Restart your computer in SafeMode
- After Power-On the computer, just before Windows start, press F8
- From the selections, Select SafeMode
2. Remove Registry entries that the threat added. You MUST BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST.
- Click Start > Run
- Type in the field, regedit
- Navigate and look for the registry entries mentioned above and delete if necessary
3. Delete malicious files that the threat added:
- Base on the given location above, browse and delete the file
- If no location is given, click Start>Search> and search for the files.
- If cannot be deleted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to access Task Manager, see if the file is running in the process. If it is, select the file and click End Process. Perform file delete again.
4. Scan computer with Antivirus Program
- Update antivirus program
- Scan computer and delete all detected threats.
How to Easily Remove Protection Center
1. Download and run Removal Tool to remove this computer threat.