PC Security Guardian
PC Security Guardian is a rogue antivirus program that user needs to remove from the computer as soon as possible. This malware will disguise as legitimate software for Windows system but will show lack of resources to be real security software. It was designed to infiltrate a computer and install itself without user’s knowledge on its operation. When installed, it will alter system registry that will allow itself to run each time Windows starts. This will mean serious trouble for the end-user. A barrage of pop-up alerts will flood the desktop and attempts to persuade users to activate and pay for PC Security Guardian serial code. Some of the alerts are:
PC Security Guardian has detected potentially harmful software in
your system. It is strongly recommended that you register
PC Security Guardian to remove all found threats immediately.
No real-time malware, spyware and virus protection was
found. Click here to activate.
Typically, PC Security Guardian will be able to download itself on victim’s computer by seeking the help of a Trojan. This Trojan can be acquired from fake online virus scanners as well as infected web sites. A visit to this site will drop a Trojan on the system. This Trojan is responsible for directing victim to download PC Security Guardian from malicious web sites. If your computer is already infected, remove PC Security Guardian using a recommended tool below. This software is famous for removing malicious product and all of its files and registry entries planted into the system.
|OS Affected||Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7|
What are the Symptoms of PC Security Guardian Infection?
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run | PC Security Guardian
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
%UserProfile%\Application Data\PC Security Guardian
%UserProfile%\Application Data\PC Security Guardian\cookies.sqlite
%UserProfile%\Desktop\PC Security Guardian.lnk
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\PC Security Guardian.lnk
%UserProfile%\Application Data\PC Security Guardian\Instructions.ini
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\PC Security Guardian.lnk
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\PC Security Guardian.lnk
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\23077d\CB130_287.exe
Follow these Procedures to Remove PC Security Guardian
Procedure 1: Manual Removal
For users with technical skills in dealing with computer problems, executing this manual removal is enough to stop the malware. However, we highly recommend running anti-malware scan to remove other hidden files. For users who are not tech-savvy, you must skip this step. Start on Procedure 2 and proceed onwards. Automatic removal takes longer to accomplish but is less difficult to execute.
1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- After turning On the power of the computer, just before Windows start, press F8.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
2. Remove Registry entries that the threat added. You MUST BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST.
- Press [Windows Key] + [R] on your keyboard.
- Type regedit in the Open box.
- Navigate and look for the registry entries mentioned above and delete if found.
3. Delete malicious files that the threat added:
- Base on the given location above, browse and delete all PC Security Guardian files.
- If cannot be deleted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to access Task Manager.
- See if the file is running in the process. If it is, select the file and click End Process. Perform file delete again.
4. Scan computer with Antivirus Program
- Connect to the Internet and update your anti-virus program.
- Run a scan on the computer and delete all detected threats.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove PC Security Guardian files with SuperAntiSpyware
We have provided a tool that you can use to remove PC Security Guardian from the computer in a much simpler way. Click the Download SAS button below to obtain the free version from their official server.
1. Download the portable version of SuperAntiSpyware.
2. Save the file on your hard drive. SAS portable is using random filename so that it can elude malware from blocking your download. When finished downloading, double-click on the file to install the program.
3. There is no need to change anything on the setup process. Just install the program with its default configuration.
4. During installation, SuperAntiSpyware will check for database update from their server. It needs an Internet connection during this process.
5. After the setup. SAS will run and is now ready to scan the computer for harmful components related to PC Security Guardian.
6. Click on Scan your Computer... to begin the process.
7. When done scanning, it will display a list of identified infected items. You may remove it directly or place them in quaratine folder.
8. You may now restart the computer.
Protect your PC from PC Security Guardian or Similar Attack
Turn On Security Features of your Internet Browser
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious files online. You may have avoided PC Security Guardian virus if this has been active on your PC. To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome's Enable Phishing and Malware Protection
With Google Chrome's Phishing and Malware Detection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious. To enable Phishing and Malware Protection, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3-Bars Icon) located on top right corner of the browser.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
5. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Enable phishing and malware protection'.
6. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats on the computer. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Tools. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries