Block Keeper or commonly known as the BlockKeeper Virus is a malicious computer security application that was categorized as rogue by computer security experts because of its illegal activities once inside the system. Block Keeper will configure itself to load during Windows start-up and prevent antivirus programs from running. It will also block Internet access and redirect web page to an unknown websites. Block Keeper can also modify system settings that can disable various Windows functionalities such as Task Manager, Windows Registry and Folder Options.
To remove BlockKeeper, one must get rid of the Trojan that have implanted it on the system. While this Trojan is still present, it can communicate with a remote server and download additional threats or strengthen the presence of the malware on computer. Remove BlockKeeper Virus with only a legit and trusted anti-malware program and avoid purchasing rogue program because it will not do any good on computer.
What are the Symptoms of BlockKeeper Infection?
Users Internet browser will be redirected to BlockKeeper – Online Protection
It will modify Windows Registry and add the following entries:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “BlockKeeper”
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “gtw6.tmp.exe”
The threat will drop the following malicious files:
- %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Desktop\BlockKeeper.lnk
- %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\BlockKeeper\1 BlockKeeper.lnk
- %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\BlockKeeper\2 Homepage.lnk
- %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\BlockKeeper\3 Uninstall.lnk
- %Program Files%\BlockKeeper Software\BlockKeeper\BlockKeeper.exe
How to Remove Block Keeper Manually
1. Restart your computer in SafeMode
– After Power-On the computer, just before Windows start, press F8
– From the selections, Select SafeMode
2. Remove Registry entries that the threat added. You MUST BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST.
– Click Start > Run
– Type in the field, regedit
– Navigate and look for the registry entries mentioned above and delete if necessary
3. Delete malicious files that the threat added:
– Base on the given location above, browse and delete the file
– If no location is given, click Start>Search> and search for the files.
– If cannot be deleted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to access Task Manager, see if the file is running in the process. If it is, select the file and click End Process. Perform file delete again.
4. Scan computer with Antivirus Program
– Update antivirus program
– Scan computer and delete all detected threats.