|Threat Name:||FBI PC Lock|
|Brief Description:||This type of malware locks the computer or desktop making it unusable.|
A new Windows locker Trojan is circulating the web that disguise as a notification page from FBI. Its headers and introduction messages contains the following text:
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Your PC is blocked due to at least one of the reasons specified below…
This FBI scam message claims that you have violated the copyright law for illegally using a copyrighted content. It then locks the computer and Windows, refusing your access unless you pay a fine of 100$.
It is evident that this activity is a fraud act committed by the same group who initiates Willkommem bei Windows Update. Although, FBI Windows Locker targets users worldwide, unlike their previous variant who aims for country specific victim. It attempts to rip-off money from computer users through scare tactics purporting to be from a legitimate government agencies.
One odd thing about this FBI Windows Locker is its payment process. It demands that penalty shall only be paid through MoneyPak. Since when does any Government institution instruct an offender to pay a fine through a payment system that is available from retail chain stores?
To release a blocked PC from this malware, follow the instructions on this page. It will require you to boot the computer from a USB device in order fix an infected boot sector and registry entries.
What are the Symptoms of Ransom Malware Infection?
FBI PC Lock Trojan will lock the PC, denying user’s access to Windows and all programs. It will replace the desktop with a ransom messages as show in the image below.
Update: August 22, 2012
A new version of FBI PC Lock is in the wild. This time, it added a new payment scheme called Ultimate Game Card by PaybyCash.com. Here is the screenshot image.
Procedures to Remove FBI PC Lock
Removal steps on this page will help you get rid of the threat effectively using tools and virus scanners. Please make sure that you will carry out the guide in exact order.
Create a USB Bootable Device
Ransom Trojans and viruses will lock the screen and makes the computer unusable. Common ways to deal with this type of infection is to boot the PC using another device. For this tutorial we will do a bootable disk that contains FBI PC Lock remover.
1. Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk from their official server. Click the button below. The file will be in .ISO format.
2. Download this utility called rescue2usb to record your .ISO file into the USB drive. Obviously you need a USB thumb drive at least 512MB in capacity. Plug it to the computer.
3. Once you have the two programs, double-click on the rescue2usb.exe to start creating a bootable USB drive.
4. You will see on the screen in the program called Kasperksy USB Rescue Disk Maker. Click on Browse and locate the .ISO file.
5. Under USB Medium, select the proper drive of your USB device.
6. Click on START. It will now begin to create a bootable USB drive with Kaspersky Rescue Disk in it.
Start the Computer with Kaspersky Rescue Disk.
1. You must set the computer to use other bootable device aside from hard drive. For this procedure, enable your BIOS to boot to USB device. If you are not familiar with this, please refer to your computer's instruction manual.
2. Another option is to access the Boot Menu right after you turn one the PC. It will present a Menu so that you can select a preferred boot drive. Select Removable Devices.
3. Your computer will now start and load Kaspersky Rescue Disk.
4. If you see a message on the screen, please Press any key to enter the menu. You only have 10 seconds to do this, otherwise it will boot with the hard drive.
5. Next screen will be the interface language. Please select desired language to use.
6. You must run the program in Graphic Mode. This gives you easy access to all commands and menus.
7. End User License Agreement will appear. Please accept to continue using the program. Press 1 to proceed.
Using WindowsUnlocker to Remove FBI PC Lock
1.Click on the K button at the lower left corner of the screen.
2. Select Terminal on the list. It will open a command prompt.
3. Type windowsunlocker and press Enter on your keyboard.
4. On WindowsUnlocker menu, please type 1 to Unlock Windows. This utility will clean the registry for malicious entries.
5. After the cleanup process, it will display the menu once more.
6. Press 0 on your keyboard to exit WindowsUnlocker.
Run a Virus Scan
1. After removing FBI PC Lock, you need to delete all remaining components.
2. Click on the K to display the menu.
3. Select Kaspersky Rescue Disk. This will open the virus scanning tool.
4. You need to update the program first. Select My Update Center tab and click on Start update. This requires an Internet connection.
5. After updating the program, select Object Scan tab and click on Start Object Scan. You must scan the following:
- Disk boot sectors
- Hidden startup objects
- All drives
6. Scanning the entire hard drive may take some time. Please let the scan to finish.
7. Once the scan process is complete, the tool will prompt you for preferred actions on detected threats. Deleting all threats is recommended.
8. You can now turn off the computer, unplug the USB drive, and start Windows in normal mode.