|Threat Name:||Joint Chief of Staff|
|Brief Description:||This type of malware locks the computer or desktop making it unusable.|
Attacker used a new official name, “Joint Chief of Staff” to put in the practice a ransom program. It puts an alert on the computer saying “Joint Chiefs of Staff. The work of your computer has been suspended on the grounds of the violation of the law of the United States of America.”
While your system is ruined by this virus, you cannot access no matter what files or programs from your PC. The entire system if fully locked down. The only message that you can get is some violations you have made like visited some banned websites, giving out of pornographic materials etc. These are grounds for you to be reprimanded with a warning.
Same with FBI, Metropolitan Police, and Department of Justice, all these threats aims to scare you, accusing that your computer is used in online crimes, doing illegal activity. Joint Chief of Staff threatens to charge you with criminal liability case. It is just their way to demand you to pay the penalty for the fake violation and to unlock your PC in return. In reality, you may really wonder where those charges coming. In the first place, if you know to yourself that you did not commit any misuse. There is no reason for you to give into the demands. Add up the fact that in any violations officials are not using such thing as screen lockers to collect fines to any person found guilty. Moreover, payment scheme such as Ukash or GreenDot Moneypak were never used as form of payment.
Never give for what they ask for. Although you find it authentic with the way they created this bogus, you have to be smarter than those cyber criminals are. To get way out on this great trouble is just one thing. It is as simple as following the procedure provided below to opt out this annoying and scary virus. This is free; you do not have to pay for it.
Procedures to Remove Joint Chief of Staff
Removal steps on this page will help you get rid of the threat effectively using tools and virus scanners. Please make sure that you will carry out the guide in exact order.
Create a USB Bootable Device
Ransom Trojans and viruses will lock the screen and makes the computer unusable. Common ways to deal with this type of infection is to boot the PC using another device. For this tutorial we will do a bootable disk that contains Joint Chief of Staff remover.
1. Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk from their official server. Click the button below. The file will be in .ISO format.
2. Download this utility called rescue2usb to record your .ISO file into the USB drive. Obviously you need a USB thumb drive at least 512MB in capacity. Plug it to the computer.
3. Once you have the two programs, double-click on the rescue2usb.exe to start creating a bootable USB drive.
4. You will see on the screen in the program called Kasperksy USB Rescue Disk Maker. Click on Browse and locate the .ISO file.
5. Under USB Medium, select the proper drive of your USB device.
6. Click on START. It will now begin to create a bootable USB drive with Kaspersky Rescue Disk in it.
Start the Computer with Kaspersky Rescue Disk.
1. You must set the computer to use other bootable device aside from hard drive. For this procedure, enable your BIOS to boot to USB device. If you are not familiar with this, please refer to your computer's instruction manual.
2. Another option is to access the Boot Menu right after you turn one the PC. It will present a Menu so that you can select a preferred boot drive. Select Removable Devices.
3. Your computer will now start and load Kaspersky Rescue Disk.
4. If you see a message on the screen, please Press any key to enter the menu. You only have 10 seconds to do this, otherwise it will boot with the hard drive.
5. Next screen will be the interface language. Please select desired language to use.
6. You must run the program in Graphic Mode. This gives you easy access to all commands and menus.
7. End User License Agreement will appear. Please accept to continue using the program. Press 1 to proceed.
Using WindowsUnlocker to Remove Joint Chief of Staff
1.Click on the K button at the lower left corner of the screen.
2. Select Terminal on the list. It will open a command prompt.
3. Type windowsunlocker and press Enter on your keyboard.
4. On WindowsUnlocker menu, please type 1 to Unlock Windows. This utility will clean the registry for malicious entries.
5. After the cleanup process, it will display the menu once more.
6. Press 0 on your keyboard to exit WindowsUnlocker.
Run a Virus Scan
1. After removing Joint Chief of Staff, you need to delete all remaining components.
2. Click on the K to display the menu.
3. Select Kaspersky Rescue Disk. This will open the virus scanning tool.
4. You need to update the program first. Select My Update Center tab and click on Start update. This requires an Internet connection.
5. After updating the program, select Object Scan tab and click on Start Object Scan. You must scan the following:
- Disk boot sectors
- Hidden startup objects
- All drives
6. Scanning the entire hard drive may take some time. Please let the scan to finish.
7. Once the scan process is complete, the tool will prompt you for preferred actions on detected threats. Deleting all threats is recommended.
8. You can now turn off the computer, unplug the USB drive, and start Windows in normal mode.