|Threat Name:||FBI MoneyPak|
|Brief Description:||This type of malware locks the computer or desktop making it unusable.|
FBI MoneyPak virus will lock the computer allegedly due to involvement in illicit activities. It reports that you are downloading or distributing copyrighted material and other adult contents. To be able to unlock the PC, FBI MoneyPak demands you to pay a penalty ranging from $100 to as high as $200 within 72 hours. This ransom program only accepts MoneyPak payment method that you can purchase from selected convenience and retail stores. MoneyPak is very similar to credit card, however, it has a pre-loaded amount of money that you can use to buy things and purchase online.
If FBI MoneyPak virus infiltrates your computer, it denies your access instantly. Suffering from a locked PC denotes that the virus has already altered some of your system settings particularly the registry. Apart from that, expect that harmful files be already dropped on various spot of your hard drive. With some components hidden on the system, there is no easy way to remove FBI MoneyPak virus.
The best approach to uninstall FBI MoneyPak virus is by using a removal tool in the presence of anti-malware software. If you will only follow the guide below, you can get rid of this ransom Trojan without paying for the fee. Regain control of your computer once more after completing the removal process.
What are the Symptoms of FBI MoneyPak Virus Infection?
FBI MoneyPak Virus will not allow you to use the computer until you pay for the fine, which cost $100 to $200. Once payment has made, you will receive the unlock code that you can use to regain access.
The fake FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) fake warning page as shown above will contain accusation of illegal acts observed on your computer. Here are some excerpts.
All activity of this computer has been recorded.
Of you use a webcam, videos and pictures were saved for identification.
You can be clearly identified by resolving your IP address and associated hostname.
Your Computer has been locked!
Illegally downloaded material (MP3’s, Movies or Software) has been located on your computer…
Update: August 22, 2012
A new version of FBI MoneyPak is in the wild. This time, it added a new payment scheme called Ultimate Game Card by PaybyCash.com. Here is the screenshot image.
Updated: October 13, 2012
The new version of FBI MoneyPak virus exhibits a new layout. Everything remains the same. See image below for reference.
Procedures to Remove FBI MoneyPak
Removal steps on this page will help you get rid of the threat effectively using tools and virus scanners. Please make sure that you will carry out the guide in exact order.
Create a USB Bootable Device
Ransom Trojans and viruses will lock the screen and makes the computer unusable. Common ways to deal with this type of infection is to boot the PC using another device. For this tutorial we will do a bootable disk that contains FBI MoneyPak remover.
1. Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk from their official server. Click the button below. The file will be in .ISO format.
2. Download this utility called rescue2usb to record your .ISO file into the USB drive. Obviously you need a USB thumb drive at least 512MB in capacity. Plug it to the computer.
3. Once you have the two programs, double-click on the rescue2usb.exe to start creating a bootable USB drive.
4. You will see on the screen in the program called Kasperksy USB Rescue Disk Maker. Click on Browse and locate the .ISO file.
5. Under USB Medium, select the proper drive of your USB device.
6. Click on START. It will now begin to create a bootable USB drive with Kaspersky Rescue Disk in it.
Start the Computer with Kaspersky Rescue Disk.
1. You must set the computer to use other bootable device aside from hard drive. For this procedure, enable your BIOS to boot to USB device. If you are not familiar with this, please refer to your computer's instruction manual.
2. Another option is to access the Boot Menu right after you turn one the PC. It will present a Menu so that you can select a preferred boot drive. Select Removable Devices.
3. Your computer will now start and load Kaspersky Rescue Disk.
4. If you see a message on the screen, please Press any key to enter the menu. You only have 10 seconds to do this, otherwise it will boot with the hard drive.
5. Next screen will be the interface language. Please select desired language to use.
6. You must run the program in Graphic Mode. This gives you easy access to all commands and menus.
7. End User License Agreement will appear. Please accept to continue using the program. Press 1 to proceed.
Using WindowsUnlocker to Remove FBI MoneyPak
1.Click on the K button at the lower left corner of the screen.
2. Select Terminal on the list. It will open a command prompt.
3. Type windowsunlocker and press Enter on your keyboard.
4. On WindowsUnlocker menu, please type 1 to Unlock Windows. This utility will clean the registry for malicious entries.
5. After the cleanup process, it will display the menu once more.
6. Press 0 on your keyboard to exit WindowsUnlocker.
Run a Virus Scan
1. After removing FBI MoneyPak, you need to delete all remaining components.
2. Click on the K to display the menu.
3. Select Kaspersky Rescue Disk. This will open the virus scanning tool.
4. You need to update the program first. Select My Update Center tab and click on Start update. This requires an Internet connection.
5. After updating the program, select Object Scan tab and click on Start Object Scan. You must scan the following:
- Disk boot sectors
- Hidden startup objects
- All drives
6. Scanning the entire hard drive may take some time. Please let the scan to finish.
7. Once the scan process is complete, the tool will prompt you for preferred actions on detected threats. Deleting all threats is recommended.
8. You can now turn off the computer, unplug the USB drive, and start Windows in normal mode.