EUROPOL is a computer virus that will lock the computer, denying user’s access to programs and the Internet. This threat is also known as Windows Locker Trojan. It can be acquired when victim pays a visit to risky web sites that shares pirated version of software. There are also cases that user may be infected with EUROPOL virus if they followed a malicious link sent out from spam emails and social networking sites.
If EUROPOL enters the PC, it will pretend to be a genuine alert from European Law Enforcement Agency. It states that you have committed various offenses, which is criminally liable in violation of copyright laws. It also declares that you are responsible for using and distribution of pirated copies of unlicensed software. Then, the malware locks the computer and advice that you should make a payment of 100 Euro via Paysafecardo or Ukash. According to the warning, this administrative fee should be settled within 48 hours after receiving the notice.
You should not believe this fake EUROPOL alert. It attempts to steal money from you through these false allegations. The only way to unlock your computer in a legal way is by scanning the computer using genuine anti-malware product. Read the complete procedure on the guide below.
|Sub-Type||Windows Lock, PC Lock|
What are symptoms of EUROPOL Virus Infection?
EUROPOL virus locks the computer and denies your access until you have paid the required penalty. It will display a full-page warning message as shown in the image below.
The other version of this malware shows a different sets of language and the warning is written as follows:
Votre ordinate est bloque
Votre ordinate est bloque a cause d’un plusieurs raisons indiques ci-dessous…
Follow these Procedures to Remove EUROPOL
Ransom Trojans and viruses will lock the screen and makes the computer unusable. Common ways to deal with this type of infection is to boot the PC using another device. For this tutorial we will do a bootable disk that contains EUROPOL remover.
Create a USB Bootable Device
1. Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk from their official server. Click the button below. The file will be in .ISO format.
2. Download this utility called rescue2usb to record your .ISO file into the USB drive. Obviously you need a USB thumb drive at least 512MB in capacity. Plug it to the computer.
3. Once you have the two programs, double-click on the rescue2usb.exe to start creating a bootable USB drive.
4. You will see on the screen in the program called Kasperksy USB Rescue Disk Maker. Click on Browse and locate the .ISO file.
5. Under USB Medium, select the proper drive of your USB device.
6. Click on START. It will now begin to create a bootable USB drive with Kaspersky Rescue Disk in it.
Start the Computer with Kaspersky Rescue Disk.
1. You must set the computer to use other bootable device aside from hard drive. For this procedure, enable your BIOS to boot to USB device. If you are not familiar with this, please refer to your computer's instruction manual.
2. Another option is to access the Boot Menu right after you turn one the PC. It will present a Menu so that you can select a preferred boot drive. Select Removable Devices.
3. Your computer will now start and load Kaspersky Rescue Disk.
4. If you see a message on the screen, please Press any key to enter the menu. You only have 10 seconds to do this, otherwise it will boot with the hard drive.
5. Next screen will be the interface language. Please select desired language to use.
6. You must run the program in Graphic Mode. This gives you easy access to all commands and menus.
7. End User License Agreement will appear. Please accept to continue using the program. Press 1 to proceed.
Using WindowsUnlocker to Remove EUROPOL
1.Click on the K button at the lower left corner of the screen.
2. Select Terminal on the list. It will open a command prompt.
3. Type windowsunlocker and press Enter on your keyboard.
4. On WindowsUnlocker menu, please type 1 to Unlock Windows. This utility will clean the registry for malicious entries.
5. After the cleanup process, it will display the menu once more.
6. Press 0 on your keyboard to exit WindowsUnlocker.
Run a Virus Scan
1. After removing EUROPOL, you need to delete all remaining components. 2. Click on the K to display the menu.
3. Select Kaspersky Rescue Disk. This will open the virus scanning tool.
4. You need to update the program first. Select My Update Center tab and click on Start update. This requires an Internet connection.
5. After updating the program, select Object Scan tab and click on Start Object Scan. You must scan the following:
- Disk boot sectors
- Hidden startup objects
- All drives
6. Scanning the entire hard drive may take some time. Please let the scan to finish.
7. Once the scan process is complete, the tool will prompt you for preferred actions on detected threats. Deleting all threats is recommended.
8. You can now turn off the computer, unplug the USB drive, and start Windows in normal mode.
Protect your PC from EUROPOL or Similar Attack
Turn On Security Features of your Internet Browser
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious files online. You may have avoided EUROPOL virus if this has been active on your PC. To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome's Enable Phishing and Malware Protection
With Google Chrome's Phishing and Malware Detection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious. To enable Phishing and Malware Protection, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3-Bars Icon) located on top right corner of the browser.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
5. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Enable phishing and malware protection'.
6. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats on the computer. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Tools. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries