websearch.webisgreat.info is a browser hijacker or search redirect adware that is part of potentially unwanted program. Same as other browser redirect adware, its main objective is to take over the home page and let you start browsing from its own web site. To achieve its purpose, add-on, extension, or plug-in must be inserted into the browser. Once Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox begins to redirect to webisgreat.info Search Engine, it only implies that nasty thing has been done on your browser software.
Aside from being redirected to websearch.webisgreat.info, compromised computer also see changes in the default search engine. Adware have their own search format in which the result will include links from its own advertisers. Ads are normally provided by Tuvaro and other unwanted platform. As usual, the goal of people behind websearch.webisgreat.info is to earn a living from this online fraud activity.
How does 'websearch.webisgreat.info' infect your web browser?
There are many ways how i.search.metacrawler.com hijacker can get inside the computer. In most instances, users are not aware of the installation. Even installed antivirus program will not alert you that this unwanted program is preparing to conquer the computer.
TPerhaps, you have installed a freeware that comes bundled with adware code. It is hard to deter this kind of scheme since even reliable web sites are offering free programs with adware attached into it. Links from spam emails and social media sites that entice you to download a program can also lead to the infection of i.search.metacrawler.com redirect adware.
Should I remove 'websearch.webisgreat.info' from the computer?
It is a must to get rid of i.search.metacrawler.com and any program that is causing hijacking or redirect issues. This kind of action is fraudulent and illicit. No favorable software will commit changes on the computer as well as browser without getting permission from the user. In the case of i.search.metacrawler.com, it drops add-on, modify settings, and replace your default start-up page without consent. Although i.search.metacrawler.com is not considered as virus, it can still expose your system to a wide-range of threats. Therefore, you must remove it right away.
Is there a way to remove 'websearch.webisgreat.info' completely?
Deleting add-ons or extensions injected by websearch.webisgreat.info into the browser may not be sufficient to totally clean the computer. The process may stop the redirect and hijacking problems, but malicious files and registry entries will remain on the computer.
Follow these Procedures to Remove websearch.webisgreat.info
Procedure 1: Uninstall websearch.webisgreat.info from Windows Control Panel
1. Click on Start button on bottom left corner of the screen. From the list, choose Control Panel to access settings of Windows and make the needed changes.
2. Under Programs, click on Uninstall a program. It will open a program and features window where-in you can uninstall, change, or repair installed software.
3. Look for the name websearch.webisgreat.info or any related term. Please note that the adware may change the title anytime. Once found, please select the item you wanted to remove.
4. Click on Uninstall button to remove the program automatically.
5. If it prompts for confirmation, please click OK to proceed.
Procedure 2: Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking
Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- After turning On the power of the computer, just before Windows start, press F8.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
Procedure 3: Scan and remove websearch.webisgreat.info files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove websearch.webisgreat.info, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed. The tool will launch.
4. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program.
Procedure 4: Reset Affected Internet Browser
Reset browser settings of Google Chrome:
1. Open Google Chrome browser
2. Type this in the address bar chrome://settings/
3. Navigate at the end of the page and click on Show advanced settings
4. At the bottom of the page, click on Reset browser settings to remove all changes made by websearch.webisgreat.info
Reset Internet Explorer Settings:
1. Open Internet Explorer software
2. Navigate to top menu and click Tools > Internet Options
3. On Internet Options window, select Advanced tab
4. In order to reverse modifications caused by websearch.webisgreat.info, click on Reset button to bring back Internet Explorer's settings to their default condition.
Reset Firefox to its default state:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox program
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Help > Troubleshooting Information
3. Click on Reset Firefox button to erase the effect of websearch.webisgreat.info
Protect your PC from websearch.webisgreat.info or Similar Attack
Turn On Safe Browsing Features
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious files online. To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome's Enable Phishing and Malware Protection
With Google Chrome's Phishing and Malware Detection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious. To enable Phishing and Malware Protection, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3-Bars Icon) located on top right corner of the browser.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
5. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Enable phishing and malware protection'.
6. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats on the computer. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Tools. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries