‘Firefox need to update immediately!’ is a browser hijacker that displays a fake Firefox alert when computer is infected with a Trojan. This warning intends to mislead computer users into downloading what seems to be an update file. Though, ‘Firefox need to update immediately!’ intends to deliver a malware and install it inside your computer.
This threat only affects Mozilla Firefox users. Security experts found that the Trojan would try to exploit certain software and security flaw so that the malware executes seamlessly when executed by the user. The button “Start update process” from this fake Firefox alert triggers the download and installation of the malware. Thus, we highly discourage computer user from clicking on this button that belongs to ‘Firefox need to update immediately!’ redirect virus. Instead, disconnect the computer from the Internet and run a thorough virus scan on the computer.
What are the Symptoms of ‘Firefox need to update immediately!’ Hijacker?
The message that you will see with this browser hijacker contains the fake Firefox message written in the following manner:
Firefox need to updated immediately!
Your version of Firefox (18.0) is vulnerable and needs to be updated.
Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, user your computer to attack others, or damage your system.
Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.
Follow these Procedures to Remove ‘Firefox need to update immediately!’ Hijacker
Procedure 1: Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking
1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- Turn on the computer and immediately press F8 on the keyboard to enter Windows Advanced Options screen. Make sure to hit the F8 button before Windows logo appears on the screen. Failure to do this will boot Windows normally. If that happens, please repeat the process until you successfully boot into Windows Advanced Options. Please see image below for reference.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.Safe mode loads minimal driver and processes, thus, there is no chance that ‘Firefox need to update immediately!’ Hijacker will run during this mode.
Procedure 2: Scan and remove ‘Firefox need to update immediately!’ Hijacker files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove ‘Firefox need to update immediately!’ Hijacker, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the button below. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed. The tool will launch.
4. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program.
Procedure 3: Run TrendMicro's Anti-Threat Toolkit (ATTK) to check and delete any remnants of ‘Firefox need to update immediately!’ Hijacker.
As an added help to remove ‘Firefox need to update immediately!’ Hijacker, you can scan the computer with Anti-Threat Toolkit. This software is provided and distributed by TrendMicro. Follow this procedure to run a scan with this tool.
1. Download the package by clicking on the button below. This will launch a new browser window that contains further details about the tool.
2. Save the file to a location on your hard drive.
3. Browse for the location of the file and double-click to run. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on extracted file attk_far_gui.exe and click on Run as Administrator.
4. When program launch, it will run a command prompt to initialize, prepare components, and update the program.
5. Next it will open the graphical user interface (GUI) of Anti-Threat Toolkit.
6. Click on Scan Now. This operation will scan all ‘Firefox need to update immediately!’ Hijacker files and processes in your computer and display a list of result for possible Fake Antivirus program and malware that needs to be removed.
7. Tick all items that are detected by the program, and then click Clean. The tool will start removing ‘Firefox need to update immediately!’ Hijacker components from the computer.
8. If it asked you to restart Windows, please do so.
Protect your PC from ‘Firefox need to update immediately!’ Hijacker or Similar Attack
Turn On Safe Browsing Features
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious files online. To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome's Enable Phishing and Malware Protection
With Google Chrome's Phishing and Malware Detection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious. To enable Phishing and Malware Protection, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3-Bars Icon) located on top right corner of the browser.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
5. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Enable phishing and malware protection'.
6. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats on the computer. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Tools. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries