PUP.Optional.Spigot.A is a potentially unwanted program that has been detected by Malwarebytes – Anti Malware and other security program. Computer users’ consent has never been required to obtain PUP.Optional.Spigot.A. Just like Widgi toolbar that is a program released by Spigot, this also comes as surprise to many computer users.
As you struggle with bunch of pop-up ads and sponsored links every time, you browse the web; the best way into that hazardous effect is to remove PUP.Optional.Spigot.A.
You have to realize that the aim of this program is not about helping or enhancing the browsing experience. It was designed by hackers for themselves to gain money. To eliminate cyber crooks’ control to the system, you have to get rid of PUP.Optional.Spigot.A the moment you detect it.
No matter if, PUP.Optional.Spigot.A does not belong from any viruses, the mere fact that it is a potentially unwanted program, which causes not just bothering you but also bringing up various troubles onto the system. As one of the many potentially unwanted programs that flow over the net, once it inside the machine, expect that you will receive countless of pop-up ads in any web site you want to visit. Moreover, clicking any from those ads means rerouting to unknown web pages.
Frequent redirection would make the system more expose in getting more infections. In extreme cases, PUP.Optional.Spigot.A can do stealing your private data and often lead to identity theft. It is a good thing knowing that you can remove PUP.Optional.Spigot.A at anytime you want to. All you have to do is to follow the removal guide on this page.
Follow these Procedures to Remove PUP.Optional.Spigot.A
Procedure 1: Uninstall PUP.Optional.Spigot.A from Windows Control Panel
1. Begin the removal process by uninstalling the adware program from Windows. To do this, we need to open Control Panel. Please ensure that you are logon with the Administrative privilege to access this function.
How to access Control Panel in Windows XP, Windows Vista/ 7
- Click on Start button that can be found on bottom left corner of the screen.
- From the list, choose Control Panel to access settings of Windows and make the needed changes.
How to access Control Panel in Windows 8
- The easiest way to access Control Panel on Windows 8 is through the Search function.
- Simply press Windows Key + Q on your keyboard to display the Charms Bar. Alternatively, you can drag mouse pointer to lower-right portion of desktop until the Charms Bar slide-out.
Magnifying Glass icon and search for 'Control Panel'. Click the item on the result to access this feature.
2. Under Programs, click on Uninstall a program. It will open a program and features window where-in you can uninstall, change, or repair installed software.
3. Look for the name PUP.Optional.Spigot.A or any related term. Please note that the adware may change the title anytime. Once found, please select the item you wanted to remove.
4. Click on Uninstall button to remove the program automatically.
5. If it prompts for confirmation, please click OK to proceed.
Procedure 2: Scan Computer in Safe Mode Using Anti-Malware Tool
In troubleshooting a PC, one common step is to boot operating system into Safe Mode with Networking. The same approach will be used in the removal of PUP.Optional.Spigot.A. Please execute instructions based on your Windows OS version.
Start in Safe Mode with Networking (Windows XP/Vista/7 Instruction)
- Please restart the computer and just before Windows start, press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly. You will be presented with Advanced Options Menu.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
Start Windows 8 in Safe Mode with Networking
- Please restart the computer and as soon as it begins to start, please press Shift+F8 keys.
- Instead of seeing Advance Boot Options, Windows 8 will display Recovery Mode. Continue with the given steps until you reach Safe Mode function.
- Click on 'See advanced repair options'.
- Then, click on Troubleshoot.
- Next, please select Advanced options.
- On the next window, please choose Windows Startup Settings.
- Lastly, click on Restart button. Windows 8 will now restart and boot into Advanced Boot Option wherein you can run the system in Safe Mode with Networking.
Scan and remove PUP.Optional.Spigot.A files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove PUP.Optional.Spigot.A, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the button below. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed. The tool will launch.
4. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program.
Procedure 3 : INTERNET EXPLORER - PUP.Optional.Spigot.A removal procedure
If the hijacker was not removed properly during the scan, you can use this guide to uninstall it from the computer. We prepared procedures to remove this unknown search program from various Internet browsers including Internet Explorer 8/9, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
Guide to remove PUP.Optional.Spigot.A Add-ons and Extensions from Internet Explorer
1. Launch the program Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, please navigate to Tools > Manage add-ons. It will open a window where in you can view and manage Internet Explorer add-ons.
3. Select Toolbars and Extensions on left panel. Go to right panel and look for PUP.Optional.Spigot.A related item.
4. Select the unwanted toolbar and extensions and click on Disable.
5. Close the existing window and restart Internet Explorer.
Procedure 4 : MOZILLA FIREFOX - PUP.Optional.Spigot.A removal guide
1. Launch the program Mozilla Firefox.
2. At Firefox main screen, type about:config in the address bar. If it shows a warning, "This might void your warranty!" please click "I'll be carefull, I promise!"
3. Firefox will display a list of entire preferences including those that were modified by PUP.Optional.Spigot.A.
4. In the Search field, type the name of malware. Then, right-click and Reset values for found Preferences.
Note: Proceed only with this fix if PUP.Optional.Spigot.A has modified your home page or if the browser keeps on redirecting to unknown web sites.
5. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools, the click Options.
6. On General Tab, under Home Page, type the desired address or simply click Restore to Default. Click OK to save the settings. This will reverse the changes made by PUP.Optional.Spigot.A on your home page.
Procedures to delete PUP.Optional.Spigot.A Extensions from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox Internet browser.
2. On top menu, click on Tools and select Add-ons from the list. You can also press CtrlShift+A on your keyboard to access this option.
3. Once the Add-ons manager is open, select Extensions from the sidebar.
4. Find the unknown add-on and click on Remove button. Click OK to save the settings.
5. Please restart Firefox to complete the process.
Procedure 5 : GOOGLE CHROME - PUP.Optional.Spigot.A removal procedure
Delete PUP.Optional.Spigot.A extension from Google Chrome:
1. Launch the program Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Wrench or 3-Bars icon on top right corner of the browser.
3. Choose Settings from the drop down list. It will open a window containing Google Chrome settings.
4. Click on Extensions of the left side bar to display all installed extensions.
5. On the right panel of the window, Disable/Delete (Trash) PUP.Optional.Spigot.A extensions.
6. Close the current window and restart Google Chrome.
Protect your PC from PUP.Optional.Spigot.A or Similar Attack
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious files online. To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome's Enable Phishing and Malware Protection
With Google Chrome's Phishing and Malware Detection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious. To enable Phishing and Malware Protection, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3-Bars Icon) located on top right corner of the browser.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
5. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Enable phishing and malware protection'.
6. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats on the computer. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Tools. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries