Fundmoods Search and Toolbar are added to your Internet browser when installing other programs. There is a way not to load Funmoods, but for most computer users who never opt for custom install of downloaded program, adware will certainly be present on the computer.
When this adware is installed, you may observe that Funmoods Search will be your default homepage, replacing what you have configured before. Also, you will notice drastic changes on your browser’s navigation menu, there will be new toolbar added by Funmoods.
There are growing unsatisfied computer users who wanted to remove Funmoods Search and Toolbar from their browser. At first, we thought that the adware only targets Internet Explorer users until lately; there are complaints on Funmoods affecting Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browser. People who shares experience with this adware clarify that upon intrusion, search page is automatically redirect to start.funmoods.com.
Our reader’s desire to stop undesirable effects by Funmoods drives this site to post a systematic removal guide. Please see the procedure below.
What are the Symptoms of Funmoods Search and Toolbar?
This is how the Funmoods Toolbar looks like when incorporated to your Internet browser.
Once your homepage is replaced with Funmoods Search, you will have the following default search bar.
Follow these Procedures to Remove Funmoods
Procedure 1: Uninstall Funmoods from Windows Control Panel
1. Begin the removal process by uninstalling the adware program from Windows. To do this, we need to open Control Panel. Please ensure that you are logon with the Administrative privilege to access this function.
How to access Control Panel in Windows XP, Windows Vista/ 7
- Click on Start button that can be found on bottom left corner of the screen.
- From the list, choose Control Panel to access settings of Windows and make the needed changes.
How to access Control Panel in Windows 8
- The easiest way to access Control Panel on Windows 8 is through the Search function.
- Simply press Windows Key + Q on your keyboard to display the Charms Bar. Alternatively, you can drag mouse pointer to lower-right portion of desktop until the Charms Bar slide-out.
- Click on the Magnifying Glass icon and search for 'Control Panel'. Click the item on the result to access this feature.
2. Under Programs, click on Uninstall a program. It will open a program and features window where-in you can uninstall, change, or repair installed software.
3. Look for the name Funmoods or any related term. Please note that the adware may change the title anytime. Once found, please select the item you wanted to remove.
4. Click on Uninstall button to remove the program automatically.
5. If it prompts for confirmation, please click OK to proceed.
Procedure 2: Scan Computer in Safe Mode Using Anti-Malware Tool
In troubleshooting a PC, one common step is to boot operating system into Safe Mode with Networking. The same approach will be used in the removal of Funmoods. Please execute instructions based on your Windows OS version.
Start in Safe Mode with Networking (Windows XP/Vista/7 Instruction)
- Please restart the computer and just before Windows start, press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly. You will be presented with Advanced Options Menu.
- From the selections, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Please use keyboard's arrow up/down to navigate between selections and press Enter to proceed.
Start Windows 8 in Safe Mode with Networking
- Please restart the computer and as soon as it begins to start, please press Shift+F8 keys.
- Instead of seeing Advance Boot Options, Windows 8 will display Recovery Mode. Continue with the given steps until you reach Safe Mode function.
- Click on 'See advanced repair options'.
- Then, click on Troubleshoot.
- Next, please select Advanced options.
- On the next window, please choose Windows Startup Settings.
- Lastly, click on Restart button. Windows 8 will now restart and boot into Advanced Boot Option wherein you can run the system in Safe Mode with Networking.
Scan and remove Funmoods files with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
To remove Funmoods, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the button below. This tool is effective in getting rid of Trojans, viruses and malware.
1. After downloading, please install the program using the default settings.
2. At the end of the installation, please make sure that it will download necessary updates.
3. Once update has completed. The tool will launch.
4. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove all threats detected by this anti-malware program.
Procedure 3: Manually remove settings created by Funmoods on Internet ExplorerIf the hijacker was not removed properly during the scan, you can use this guide to uninstall it from the computer. We prepared procedures to remove this unknown search program from various Internet browsers including Internet Explorer 8/9, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
Uninstall Funmoods from Internet Explorer 8:
1. Launch the program Internet Explorer 8.
2. On top menu, please navigate to Tools > Internet Options.
3. It will open the options window; make sure that you are viewing the General tab. Look for the area that says "Search" and click the Settings button.
4. You will see a list of search providers. Select your preferred search provider and click the button Set as default to replace Funmoods.
5. You may now remove Funmoods from the list. Highlight the item and click on Remove button.
For Internet Explorer 9:
1. Launch the program Internet Explorer 9.
2. On top menu, please navigate to Tools > Internet Options.
3. On General tab, proceed to Change search defaults and click the Settings button.
4. You will see a list of search providers. Select your desired search provider and click the button Set as default to replace Funmoods.
5. You may now remove Funmoods from the list.
Procedure 4: Instructions to uninstall Funmoods from Mozilla Firefox
1. Launch the program Mozilla Firefox.
2. On the address bar, type about:config and press Enter on the keyboard to view the list of preferences.
3. If it display a warning message stating that the action might void your warranty, just click "I'll be careful, I promise!"
4. Type Funmoods (or Root Name Only) in the search box to display the list of references that were altered by the adware. Please refer to the image below.
5. There is no button to remove the preference set by Funmoods. All you need to do is restore it to Firefox's default settings. Right-click on the item and select Reset from the drop-down list.
6. After resetting all affected preferences, you can now restart Firefox.
7. Navigate to toolbar and on Google's Search box, click the arrow down sitting right beside the 'G' logo.
8. Click on Manage Search Engines... from the drop-down list to see all search engines installed in Firefox.
9. Choose your preferred default search provider by placing it at the top most position. Highlight the item and click on Move up until it reaches the first spot.
10. To remove Funmoods from Firefox, highlight on its name and click the Remove button.
Procedure 5: Delete Funmoods from Google Chrome
1. Launch the program Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Wrench or 3-Bars icon on top right corner of the browser.
3. Choose Settings from the drop down list. It will open a window containing Google Chrome settings.
4. Find the area that says "Search". This is located in the middle part of the page.
5. Click on Manage search engines. It will show a list of Search engines including the default one.
6. Mouse-over to your preferred search engine and click Make default.
7. Then, to remove Funmoods from Google Chrome, mouse-over to that item and click on the X mark.
Protect your PC from Funmoods or Similar Attack
Turn On Safe Browsing Features
Internet Explorer - Activate SmartScreen Filter
Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 has this feature called SmartScreen Filter. It helps detect phishing web sites and protect you from downloading malicious files online. To turn on SmartScreen Filter, follow these steps:
1. Please open Internet Explorer.
2. On top menu, select Tools (IE 9). For IE 8, please look for Safety menu.
3. Select SmartScreen Filter from the drop-down list and click on Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
4. Please restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome's Enable Phishing and Malware Protection
With Google Chrome's Phishing and Malware Detection feature, you will have lesser risks browsing the web. It will display a warning when the site you are trying to visit is suspicious. To enable Phishing and Malware Protection, please do these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3-Bars Icon) located on top right corner of the browser.
3. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
4. Once on the settings page, click on Show advanced settings... at the bottom of the page to see the rest of the Chrome setup.
5. Locate Privacy section and mark 'Enable phishing and malware protection'.
6. Please restart Google Chrome. New settings keep your browser safe while surfing the web.
Mozilla Firefox - Block Attack Sites and Web Forgeries
Phishing and Malware Protection is a built-in feature on Firefox version 3 or later. It warns you when a page you are trying to visit contains phishing content or an attack site designed to drop threats on the computer. To help you keep safe while browsing the Internet using Firefox, please follow this guide:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On top menu, click on Tools. Then select Options from the list.
3. Select Security and put a check mark on the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries